free website stats program Truck | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Truck

The Toyota Tundra is not an import,they are built in the U.S.A. and Canada and 75% of their components are North American unlike the big three anymore.
Just thought I would set the record straight here.
One other thing. Over the last year no one I know personally who works at Toyota has been laid off.:s

To set the record straight, they are ASSEMBLED here. And while that helps with jobs here in the states (for now), the few assembly plants that they have built here pale in comparision to the plants our American companies own and operate. Wait to see what happens in the future when they start sending jobs overseas as well. By then we will all be as calaus as some of you guys sound now. 20 years ago there wouldn't have been anyone in this forum (of us Americans that is) that would have stood for not buying American. Fact is, that is why many of us stuck it out with MoCo when times were tough with them. We were buying American, and that meant something. And no offense, but I realize this may be tough to understand for someone from Europe or Canada.

I work for one of the largest automotive parts manufacturers in the world. Our smallest customers, in terms of amounts of parts purchased, are the Japanese companies. I have to believe, based on what I know and witness daily, that the vast majority of parts for these Japanese vehicles are being produced elsewhere despite what information is being circulated. The Public Relations machine is an amazing thing.

I was going to ask how many people do you know that work for Toyota but I don't want to start a war of words :57:

I'm needing to buy a truck to haul a trailer (RV type, non-5th wheel) around that I plan on buying next year. The truck also needs room for my 07 RG in the box. I'm kinda struck on the Toyota Tundra Limited. My question is, does the bike have to fit 100% into the box, or can the tailgate support the rear wheel ?
Thanks

Forget the Tundra...buy GM and help keep this ole retired self centered selfish pensioner in a pension check so I can buy more Harley-Davidson cycles. :D

I know many folk who have put 300k miles on GM trucks and they were running when they sold them. Most folk I know that bought Oriental Company trucks didn't keep them long enough to really find out what they were made of.

My 2 cents..... Think Diesel if you are hauling much or often. My gas burner Dodge 2WD dropped from 18mpg unloaded to 8-10 mpg hauling my toy hauler. When I went Diesel 4X4 I got 20mpg unloaded and 13-15 with the toy hauler.
With Diesel at about the same as regular gas and the length of the engine life it is a good fit for pulling.
Good post, Diesel is the way to go. I have been looking at the new Superduty's and I want one with the new 6.7 Scorpion. Is is a little more truck that I need right now, but I am doing more hauling now and the added power and mileage is something to look at.

Holy high jacked thread Batman! :newsmile07:

Sounds like the original poster has a classic case of too many toys! :57: Just kidding.

I don't know if I'd like to haul a travel trailer along with a bike in the box. It's not really protected well from the elements and from looking at the info Glider linked here on tail gate load ratings (or lack there of) I was really surprised at the risk of loading and unloading ATVs, bikes etc.

I might rethink the set-up all together. I mean if you're considering which type of truck to purchase, maybe you should reconsider the trailer?

Maybe one of those travel toy trailers? Serves two great purposes in one nice package.

Or have the wife drive the truck and trailer while you scout ahead on your bike lookings for a nice place to bunk. I'm married and would never recommend this of course but, the thought briefly popped in my head. :small3d007:

Cheers!

The key is where the profits go in the end. Thats why I stick with the American vehicles.
I love Fords, they have always been good to me so I stick with em and like you said the profits do come home in some way. I switch up from year to year maybe a Mercury or Lincoln for the wife, for me it will always be a Ford truck. I was just at the dealer today looking at the new Mustang and I have to say it looks much nicer in person than in pictures, that is the GT model. The Shelby's look even nicer. They really look more like the old Machs now, more so in the front end. The new Taurus is really nice too, I want to see the new SHO when it comes in, could be the next car.

Last edited:
Holy high jacked thread Batman! :newsmile07:

Sounds like the original poster has a classic case of too many toys! :57: Just kidding.

I don't know if I'd like to haul a travel trailer along with a bike in the box. It's not really protected well from the elements and from looking at the info Glider linked here on tail gate load ratings (or lack there of) I was really surprised at the risk of loading and unloading ATVs, bikes etc.

I might rethink the set-up all together. I mean if you're considering which type of truck to purchase, maybe you should reconsider the trailer?

Maybe one of those travel toy trailers? Serves two great purposes in one nice package.

Or have the wife drive the truck and trailer while you scout ahead on your bike lookings for a nice place to bunk. I'm married and would never recommend this of course but, the thought briefly popped in my head. :small3d007:

Cheers!

The reason I'm looking for truck that will do both jobs is that in a couple of years, I'm planning on become a snowbird, heading South for the winters.and taking the HD with me, and will be travelling during winter. By the looks of things, I'll have to get a bigger truck if i want to do what I want to do, lol.

Thanks for all the great input (even the "nationalistic stuff!! lol)

We used to run Fords 7.3s and Dodges with the cummins. We tow real heavy living quarter horse trailers"goose necks" and all I'll drive now is the Chevy or GMC Duramax/Allison. We get the best milage towing or empty than our friends who still drive the other brands with diesels. Our friends new Cummins are giving them trouble with the electronic fuel injection pumps even at just a week old and Chrysler isn't fixing them under warranty. The sad thing is the cummins was bullet proof,but now they are haveing issues. The Fords 6.0s were a nightmare and our friends that have bought the new 6.4 Fords aren't very happy either. They are in the shop more than not.
And their milage is terrible down to 6.5 towing in some cases. Our Chevy dually and trailer's GVCW is about 25,400 loaded and we get 11 mpg or better towing a 40 ft trailer and I have not been on any hill that I can't pull at lease 60 mph or better.
I was a dyed in the wool Ford guy, but it's Duramax for me now. Diesel is the way to go if you are towing a lot. Toyotas are tough and probably one of the best trucks in it's class on the road, but I hear they do drink some gas when towing. Good luck in whatever you buy. There are sure some good deals out there now.

We used to run Fords 7.3s and Dodges with the cummins. We tow real heavy living quarter horse trailers"goose necks" and all I'll drive now is the Chevy or GMC Duramax/Allison. We get the best milage towing or empty than our friends who still drive the other brands with diesels. Our friends new Cummins are giving them trouble with the electronic fuel injection pumps even at just a week old and Chrysler isn't fixing them under warranty. The sad thing is the cummins was bullet proof,but now they are haveing issues. The Fords 6.0s were a nightmare and our friends that have bought the new 6.4 Fords aren't very happy either. They are in the shop more than not.
And their milage is terrible down to 6.5 towing in some cases. Our Chevy dually and trailer's GVCW is about 25,400 loaded and we get 11 mpg or better towing a 40 ft trailer and I have not been on any hill that I can't pull at lease 60 mph or better.
I was a dyed in the wool Ford guy, but it's Duramax for me now. Diesel is the way to go if you are towing a lot. Toyotas are tough and probably one of the best trucks in it's class on the road, but I hear they do drink some gas when towing. Good luck in whatever you buy. There are sure some good deals out there now.
Your lucky, my friend had a Duramax dump with the Allison trans and it was the worst truck I have ever seen. The trans went, the rear went and then the engine. I have never seen anything like it in my life. The poor guys winded up losing the truck and his business.

I have a 2007.5 Silverado 2500 HD Diesel, the New Duramax is Awesome, Great Power and Torque. 365HP/660LBS Torque. I get around 20-22 on the Highway unloaded. Dodge/Cummins is another great combo to go with also.
I would go with a Diesel Truck if you can afford it.

Back