Troubleshooting a headlight

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Nuclear, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Nuclear

Nuclear Member

My headlight seems to have an issue that I have been putting off looking at while I get more familiar with the bike. When at an idle, the light seems pretty strong, but fluctuates slightly, and when I give the bike a little throttle, it dims considerably.

I nosed around in there looking for any obvious loose connections, and also checked the battery connections, but everything seems o.k. there. Would replacing the sealed beam bulb be a good place to start troubleshooting, or does this sound like more of a problem with the rectifier-regulator?

I'm going to dig into it tomorrow, but if any of you have any insight or experience with this problem I'd appreciate any input!

2. gs34

gs34 Junior Member

I think you may be best to start by checking the voltage under these conditions, then follow the troubleshooting steps for checking the charging system.
    Bet that tells you where your problem is.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

Like stated above, I would start with checking the output on the charging system at different RPM's.

4. Nuclear

Nuclear Member

Thanks guys I'll start there this evening.

5. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Glider & GS34 have you covered, check voltages and use HD service manual or simplified schematic attached to help you trace things out. No voltage at low throttle openings could mean a bad cell in your battery to bad connection in the battery/charging system primary wiring. See attached...

[​IMG]

6. Safehaven

Safehaven Active Member

Thanks for the schematic, this is going to come in hand for my headlight project.

Take care,