Trouble Starting!! 03 Road King Classic

Discussion in 'Other Service and Maintenance' started by codyf94, Apr 6, 2014.

1. codyf94

codyf94 New Member

I have a 2003 Road King Classic fuel injected and I am having trouble getting it started. I've asked some friends that own different models and haven't gotten a solid answer. When I try to start it, it will roll over slow but then stop and all I hear is the starter spinning. (The battery is fully charged.) But other times it starts right up like normal. I've been told it might be the compensator sprocket but I have no idea how many teeth mine has and I also dont know if thats whats wrong. I know I need to replace my cam tensioners but I have been told that doesn't affect starting. HELP!!!

2. Amish Hawg

Amish Hawg Active Member Contributor

If I was a betting man, I would load test the battery at the local auto zone. I'm thinking you'll find its time for a new one. She's sounding just like mine did. Barely turned over at times. It was charged but just didn't have the oomph. Battery was 4 years old. New one in, cranks right up.

You can inspect those tensioners pretty easy. That's something you don't want to wait to check. Once they are gone, it gets pretty ugly. There's a ton of reading about that on here.

Someone will chime in with much more info. Good luck.

3. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I'm with AH on this. Have the battery load tested.

Get those tensioners fixed before you have a severe problem. Just sayin.....

4. r_k_dragon

r_k_dragon Active Member

I'd include the starter clutch as a possible if the battery passes the load test!

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member