free website stats program Trike Theft | Harley Davidson Forums

Trike Theft

zoood

Product Contributor
At a HD open house. A triker was showing me a dent he found in his front fender. Right under where the engine guard is over the fender area. It looks just like as if one had no air in their front end and bottomed out, hitting the fender in that area.

However, this wasnt the cause or nature of that dent. What did cause it was attempted theft. Two individuals would pass a steel pipe or bar through this area, with the trike's steering locked. They would lift the trike at the front and wheel it away on the back wheels.

This is a concern for me. Thinking that, by making my trike so one cant start it, would be enough to deter theft. Now I'm going to see if I can come up with an idea that will allow me to lock my rear wheels. Without having to crawl under the trike each time to lock the disc.

Most of everyone out there has had their trike built. Where as I built mine. I have way too much time into it to come out and find it's gone!!!

RJ

There's a gaggle of alarm systems with motion sensors on them that are adjustable and work pretty well. Some of the better units should deter the thief by setting of a siren with any movement. The pros will get it even with the best of units on it.

Of course someone like you should be able to fab up a system with electric push/pull solenoids with linkages to both rear wheels to lock the rear wheels from rotating when parking. It could be key switch operated in a compartment that is locked on the rear of the trike for double safety.

I'm looking more at having a steel dowel pin that slides into a position that would lock the rear wheels. One that is actuated electrically. i already have a sounding devise on my trike. But my wife doesnt like to have to sit on the trike while I venture in to the diner for dinner.

LOL RJ

Morn'n,

A mercury tilt sensor alarm might work for you.

ride safe

I'm looking more at having a steel dowel pin that slides into a position that would lock the rear wheels. One that is actuated electrically. i already have a sounding devise on my trike. But my wife doesnt like to have to sit on the trike while I venture in to the diner for dinner.

LOL RJ

Hey....great idea RJ :lolrolling

I know we think along the same lines RJ. I have put together a few things in my life that worked real well, too bad I didn't apply for a patent for them.

Zoood, the damage on the trikers bike was "collateral damage" what stopped them from making off with it?

Just a thought...but, locking the rear wheels might result in owing a trike with a bent front end and flattened tires on the back when they lift the front end and try to tow it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's still a lot cheaper than building another trike!

Just a thought...but, locking the rear wheels might result in owing a trike with a bent front end and flattened tires on the back when they lift the front end and try to tow it.

Back