free website stats program transmission oil coming out breather tube | Harley Davidson Forums

transmission oil coming out breather tube

hd dyna

i have a 99 wide glide trans oil coming out of breather tube for tranny on primary side of bike . The tran fluid is not overfull , I also checked the breather tube to make sure it was not blocked,does anyone know why or what is causing this?

Just for the heck of it check your primary oil level and see if it's low. Maybe a change of trans oil will help, it there is any water or moisture in the oil, it could expand when warmed up.

i checked all of that and everything is normal it seems like the tranny is somehow being pressureized . I shut the bike off and 10 min later i watched tranny fluid drip out. I never had a problem with it before it started doing it 2 weeks ago and thanks for responding!

i checked all of that and everything is normal it seems like the tranny is somehow being pressureized . I shut the bike off and 10 min later i watched tranny fluid drip out. I never had a problem with it before it started doing it 2 weeks ago and thanks for responding!

HD Tranny WILL seek it's Own Level..

Can't say What is causing it to leak out the tube besides a Tad Over Full.

IF you recently changed it,,, IT will find it's Own Full Level it likes... Normal on a lot of bikes. What we think is full is over full.

Sometimes, running it harder than you normally do WILL cause some oil to come out,,, Again,,, Just Until it finds a level it likes...

If it ever shows 1/4 LOW AFTER you let it fine it's own level THEN you must have a problem..

My 00 dyna was the same way, after a change and After what I thought was Full, it would blow out gear oil until IT found it's own Full Level...

I'd bet yours will stop when it does the same.

3/4 of a quart in the tranny will not harm a thing..

I'm NOT saying to run it that low but give it a chance to See IF it goes that LOW. IF it does, then other than over full is there...

signed....BUBBIE

i have not changed oil or added oil since springtime never done it until 2 weeks ago i was hoping it was something simple which it prob is i will prob be taking to hd shop soon thanks for your response

Did it start this problem after you changed the trans fluid?

If the tranny fluid was changed, did you follow this process.

The bike should in a upright and level position.
Remove the dipstick inside fill hole and rest the shoulder on the lip of the filler tube.
DO NOT SCREW IN.
Lubricant level should be at the Full mark. (Not sure if this is hot or cold level)

no bike never layed on its side and followed all instructions tranny oil was changed in april and never lost a drop to recent rode all summer long, never had problem to know! thanks everybody for trying to help

Back