Transmission noise when in gear

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by hogsolo, Dec 5, 2014.

1. hogsolo

hogsolo Member

I changed the clutch cable on my 08 Nightster, then it began to make a noise when in gear and the clutch is started to be let out. here's a video with the noise. What did i mess up?
    http://youtu.be/_XPB118LkMI

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

You need to get the clutch cover off and see how cable is routed. It sounds like cable is rubbing against clutch hub.....

3. hogsolo

hogsolo Member

I checked and I'm pretty sure the clutch cable is NOT rubbing agaist the clutch hub.
    When in Netural, all sounds fine ( clutch handle pulled in or not ).
    When in first with the clutch handle pulled in, the noise is audible.
    As the handle is released, the noise gets louder. There is minimal to no power getting to the wheels, and there is a burning smell.
    Is it possible I unscrewed the adjsutment screw too much when talking the cluctch off to take the cable off?

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Adjust your clutch and cable Cold not when engine is warm

5. hogsolo

hogsolo Member

Yeah I backtracked, watched all the videos for the umpteenth times. I can feel where ithe locking nut starts to gain resistance, then back it off. I've tried with differnt settings, With the ramps loose or tight as held by the lock nut. No difference in that noise. I seriously cannot figure out what I did. And yeah, I'm doing all this when cold.
    [​IMG]

6. stray dog

stray dog Junior Member

Are you still having problems or is it fixed?

All your doing is setting proper free play. When setting the clutch, the cable should be set with plenty of slack. If you don't or can't get the slack in the cable where your clutch lever is just dangling in the wind, you cant adjust your clutch free play. Then it's possible you have the wrong cable.

I've never done it on a sportster so I looked at this vid and thought it was as good as any:
    Delboys Garage, Harley Sportster Clutch Adjustment. - YouTube

If your still getting clutch slippage something else is wrong with your clutch.
    Why are you replacing the cable? What happened?

7. hogsolo

hogsolo Member

Yup, seen the video and plenty others, got plenty of slack when i put the ramps on and adjust the screw.

8. stray dog

stray dog Junior Member

9. hogsolo

hogsolo Member

Ok, It wasn't anything to do with the adjustment I was doing. I took it to the dealer and they said there was a groove that was worn into the clutch plate. That eventually cuased two plates to bind. They can't say what caused it.

10. stray dog

stray dog Junior Member

Glad your up and running again!

Thanks for the update :s