free website stats program Transmission Issue, whats next | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Issue, whats next

Re: Next step(s) Clutch/trans/bearing(s)?

Had a similar situation and Breeze3At is right on the mark, It's your drive pulley. While not the way most of us would like to spend a weekend, the good news is if you can turn a decent wrench, you can do the work yourself . Obviously inspect everything around the primary (ie gaskets, starter drive bearings/bushings) that need replacement as this is the time to do it. Good luck.

If it is the spline, what would cause such a radical failure? I am not a hard rider.
Never even a chirp on take off or an aggressive downshift.
What ever the fix is, it is. But, I also want to make sure the cause is corrected.

is the compensator nut loose mine did that grinding noise and to find out the compensator nut came loose tore up the rotor. made the rotor grind on the case. check the rear iner pully to the rear belt too may be a bearing went out.

If it is the spline, what would cause such a radical failure? I am not a hard rider.
Never even a chirp on take off or an aggressive downshift.
What ever the fix is, it is. But, I also want to make sure the cause is corrected.

Harley typically uses a lock tab held on with a bolt to keep the sprocket nut from moving. The bolt head can shear (no fault of your riding style), then it is a case of wobbling micro inches at a time when accelerating/decelerating, increasing each time until the splines let go. The good news (usually) is the pulley splines are in a much softer metal than the transmission shaft splines, and the trans. splines are often undamaged.

I certainly did not intend for my issue to hijack the OP's thread. I presume the symptoms are related or similar enough, hence the moderators decision to merge.

Well I know what I am doing: clear/clean the bench and get ready to dis-assemblllllllllllllllle.

Sometimes it's good to get intimate with your hardware. :yahoo

I will post updates as I go.

I certainly did not intend for my issue to hijack the OP's thread. I presume the symptoms are related or similar enough, hence the moderators decision to merge.

Well I know what I am doing: clear/clean the bench and get ready to dis-assemblllllllllllllllle.

Sometimes it's good to get intimate with your hardware. :yahoo

I will post updates as I go.

You do have a manual? Good luck on your project

I'm sorry, goes to the OP. When I looked at the two threads yesterday morning I would have bet my life that they were from the same person with the same issue. Only to find that they were not the same when I logged back on later. So to confuse things further I moved the posts back into its own thread with a similar title. Hope its not to confusing and again, I'm sorry.

Back