Transmission fluid won't drain

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by zinger66, Apr 12, 2015.

1. zinger66

zinger66 New Member

Any ideas on why transmission fluid will not drain? Already changed engine oil
    And took the drain plug for the transmission off. Only a little bit of fluid came out, there shouldn't have been any reason for it to be low, no leaks, no previous issues. Added the 24oz.and the it was over filled. Took the plug out again but it still barely has anything draining. Any suggestions?

2. glazier

glazier Junior Member

Just a thought, but have you removed the dipstick while attempting to drain it??? Maybe needs some air flow to let the fluid drain out. Either that or you've removed the wrong drain plug. I'm just throwing ideas out there.

3. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

+1 on glazier post. There is a vent tube on the trans and it may be obstructed.

4. gator508

gator508 Senior Member

Something is amiss here, either wrong drain plug or blocked by something. Since you put fluid in it, maybe try raising the rear wheel off the ground with the drain plug out, starting the bike and running thru the gears to get fluid moving. May break up an obstruction.

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

[​IMG]
    #20 is the drain plug, you are pulling the correct plug out?

6. Billbo

Billbo Junior Member

I think that's very odd. IF you have fluid in the tranny and it wont drain out - only two things come to mind - 1)you did not remove the correct drain plug or 2)there is no fluid in the tranny.

I agree with others here - be sure to at least loosen the FILLER plug and make certain you have removed the right drain plug.

I have very thick trans fluid in my bikes (Redline Shockproof) and I always warm it up before draining - BUT - I still think it would drain out if I remove the drain plug.

Good Luck
    Bill

7. Dan.1977P

Dan.1977P Active Member

8. 03ultra45385

03ultra45385 Active Member

I see 2 #20's. The one on the front of the oil pan is engine oil. The second one is on the bottom of the oil pan is transmition drain. Both are hex headed drain plugs.

9. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Indeed I should have been more clear on that diagram thanks for pointing it out
    Both of these bolts are 5/8 wrench size