free website stats program Trans Help????????? | Harley Davidson Forums

Trans Help?????????

1catman.1

I am new to the harley world..I have been rideing motorcycles for a long time and now I have perchased a custom build.... Lots of different parts:( My quistion is I have a 4 speed and the linkage really (EDIT) bad... loose as (EDIT) ... I have been told that their is a convershion kit to make it a 5 speed... or is their any way to fix this problem... They tell me it's called a washing machine trans?????????? any help would be greate....

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Some call it a Maytag tranny, what is the main problem? yes you can build a 5 in a 4 but it would probably be cheaper to buy a 5 speed and be done with the deal. JMO

Some call it a Maytag tranny, what is the main problem? yes you can build a 5 in a 4 but it would probably be cheaper to buy a 5 speed and be done with the deal. JMO

nothings wrong with the trans it's just that the linkage is realy sloppy. and my wife does not like to drive it this way...She is a new driver 2nd year and she does not want to drive it this way due to being out of her comfort zone... thanks for the reply

nothings wrong with the trans it's just that the linkage is realy sloppy. and my wife does not like to drive it this way...She is a new driver 2nd year and she does not want to drive it this way due to being out of her comfort zone... thanks for the reply

How about some after market linkage with adjustable Heim joints?:s

I have that transmission in my shovel. Is it the slotted arm that bolts to the side of the trans. that's sloppy, or the rest of the linkage to the lever? My trans lever was wallowed out, and I got a new one. It doesn't seem like it cost much. That trans was used '79-'84, it has several names, Maytag and Cowpie are two I remember.

Back