Trans fluid level

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by BikeSAG, Nov 17, 2009.

1. BikeSAG

BikeSAG Active Member

Pulled the trans drain plug on my 2007 Heritage and only got about 4 ounces out. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I guess it could have been low but not that much. Should have been about a quart right? Yes I pulled the dipstick to let air in and no difference. Is there a secret here.

Found it. The trans plug is between the shocks. The service manual does not show the shocks in the picture.

I guess I pulled the lower end plug (no o ring). I'm changing the engine oil tomorrow night so that shoud take care of this.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
  2. glider

glider Veteran Member

3. mc2

mc2 Active Member Contributor

On the subject of engine oil sump:: I recently drained mine 'purposely' on my last change. I figure since I have an oil cooler that holds about 4 oz +/- it is best to get all the old oil out that I can. Also, I noticed the sump plug, a little allen plug, was only into the case about 3-4 threads. Put some locktite red on assembly and tightened snug.
    OH YEAH, before starting I removed the plugs and cranked it a bit, just for good measure.
    Just thought I would add this to the thread for general info or comments if any!