free website stats program tranny fluid level | Harley Davidson Forums

tranny fluid level

kdaddy

05 electra glide 5 speed. I have always drained when hot with bike level. Manual says 20-24 ounces to refill. I have always dumped 24 in and even when cold it looks high on the stick. Its hard to see because its clean. I never have had any from the tranny breather tube. How much difference in cold check and hot level? Will overfill cause seal leaks? How much are other twin cam 5 speed owners using to gill typically? Thanks

05 electra glide 5 speed. I have always drained when hot with bike level. Manual says 20-24 ounces to refill. I have always dumped 24 in and even when cold it looks high on the stick. Its hard to see because its clean. I never have had any from the tranny breather tube. How much difference in cold check and hot level? Will overfill cause seal leaks? How much are other twin cam 5 speed owners using to gill typically? Thanks

You should be OK, these trannys tend to seak their own level even if a bit too full, they will vent the extra The cold and hot level to me does not change noticeably it is hard to read on the stick, you may try filing a cross hatch on the stick or paint it white with VHT white paint

I had a shift shaft seal leak from an overfill. Drained it on an incline toward the back and thought it was level...

I usually put in 22 oz. Hot or cold is no difference due to no Sumping like the engine. However you do need to have the bike straight up to check the level.
tourbox

it can be tricky to check the level of clean tranny fluid on the dipstick. hard to see it when its clean. I just take a clean white rag or paper towel and roll the dipstick on it just a little bit, and then you can see the reading on the rag with the dipstick right next to it.

I drained the tranny and put in 20 oz. Of redline. It shows between add and full sitting level with the dipstick resting in first thread. I will check it again after a warmup ride. You can definitely see the level with redline. Have never used it before. I'll see if I like it.
WAP.gif

As long as the vent tube is not restricted, the tranny is not SUPPOSED to be over pressurized. Remember, this is an oil slinger type oiling system (same thing in the Primary). There is no pump that is distributing the lube.

A good idea is to measure the amount of fluid drained out of the tranny when you have done everything possible (like rocking it left and right) to get the old fluid out. Then refill the tranny with that amount of fluid. After a few miles of riding when the tranny and fluid are up to operating temperature, check the fluid level on the dip stick and adjust if necessary.

Cheers,

TQ

I would add that if you use Redline at least every other time, you can read it on the dip stick just fine. Besides being a superior lubricant it also will help in aiding in the differentiation between a primary leak and a tranny leak, if need be.

I drained the tranny and put in 20 oz. Of redline. It shows between add and full sitting level with the dipstick resting in first thread. I will check it again after a warmup ride. You can definitely see the level with redline. Have never used it before. I'll see if I like it.

JMHO but you are running the best trans lube available and should notice a difference in shifting; lest noise/clunk and easier shifting. Better to be a bit low than a bit high; no that critical as TQ points out; the system is based on "slinging" the lube, not bathing the gears. As Bodeen points out, too high and you can blow a seal. If the level is too low, the trans will let you know; you will feel and hear it.:(

WAP.gif

I would ADD the 4 ounces it needs to be full... IT Will not harm anything.

Just add what the HD manufacturer says for that model... Showing between the full and and the add I Would ADD...

Yes Redline IS the Best in my book...

signed....BUBBIE

Back