free website stats program Tour Pak rivets | Harley Davidson Forums

Tour Pak rivets

Butch

Searching, I haven't found anything related to the tour pak rivets.

Because of a lousy 3 dollar part, I'm having to do a couple of hundred dollars repair to my ultra tour pack. Check that tour pack lid cable - when it goes there's damage-a-plenty!

Along with glass and paint work, I'll also have to replace the hinges.
Anybody have an alternative to the hd rivets, or a way to compress those w/o the super-dooper-ultra-special rivet tool the moco uses - 360 bucks for what looks like a pair of deformed vice grips seems a tad excessive!

You can use small button head bolts you'll just have to make sure you have the clearance opening and closing the tour pak. If you get everything together and go to the HD shop more than likely you can get a tech to either do it real quick or possibly loan the tool to you. The one tech at my local shop normally will help me out like that.

You can use small button head bolts you'll just have to make sure you have the clearance opening and closing the tour pak. If you get everything together and go to the HD shop more than likely you can get a tech to either do it real quick or possibly loan the tool to you. The one tech at my local shop normally will help me out like that.

yes those rivets are a major pain! i'd like some alternatives also!

yes those rivets are a major pain! i'd like some alternatives also!

I too like the idea of small bolts, flat washers and nuts (washers and nuts on the inside of the box). Use a dab of loctite to make sure they are not gonna back off on ya.

On that crappy cable that HD used to stop the box top from going over and South, mine broke too!! Split the left front corner of the box all the way down, and the left back a couple of inches. I have replaced that wire with a chain. Just use the screws from the cable, but add some flat washers. There is no real load on it, so it doesn't have to be real stout. The cable just broke from the repeated flexing at the crimped end.

TQ

Attachments

• Tour Pak chain.jpg
    Tour Pak chain.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 261
  • Tour Pak chain - end.jpg
    Tour Pak chain - end.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 252
  • Tour Pak crack - frt.jpg
    Tour Pak crack - frt.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 864
  • Tour Pak crack - rear.jpg
    Tour Pak crack - rear.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 837
I too like the idea of small bolts, flat washers and nuts (washers and nuts on the inside of the box). Use a dab of loctite to make sure they are not gonna back off on ya.

On that crappy cable that HD used to stop the box top from going over and South, mine broke too!! Split the left front corner of the box all the way down, and the left back a couple of inches. I have replaced that wire with a chain. Just use the screws from the cable, but add some flat washers. There is no real load on it, so it doesn't have to be real stout. The cable just broke from the repeated flexing at the crimped end.

TQ

WOW! Bummer of a split on the box!
Mine cracked the lid at the hinge points. One side hair-line, the other all the way through. Plus it mangled the hinges, making the lid sprung, which is beginning to wreck the clasps...and on it goes!

I've replaced the cable, though, I like the chain idea!
Maybe slip a little thin walled hose over it to protect the paint yet still be flexible. I've seen after market locking hinges, like a steamer trunk uses, which I was considering. Though at 80 some bucks, your chain is looking like a good option.

Thanks for sharing.

...from the looks of the trunk inside pic, I bet you're a contributor to the "Do you pack when you ride" thread ;-)

...from the looks of the trunk inside pic, I bet you're a contributor to the "Do you pack when you ride" thread ;-)

Just looked back at the photos. Right. Little pocket protector!

BTW - where did you have your Tour Pak repaired? Obviously I am gonna have to do it one of these days. A new box (bottom only!) is around $800!!

TQ

Back