free website stats program Tour of the Rockies | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tour of the Rockies

I usually ride that area every Memorial Weekend. It's a blast; often you never know which weather conditions you'll be dealing with - cold, hot, rainy, snowy...all in a single day. Love it!!

So, although it was several weeks ago...I figured I would give a brief on the ride.
All in all, the ride was alot of fun.
First Day - Made it all the way to Durango with no rain. However, for the stretch up to Ouray, we got hit and hut pretty hard with a rain storm. Never fails on this road - always rain. The KOA in Ouray was nice. Thank goodness it had a small Bar and Grill.
Second Day - much better ride all the way to Boulder. Some rain, but nothing big. The biggest issue we ran into was the rush hour from Dillon to Idaho Springs. Bumper to Bumper and moving very slow. Plus it was a little warm. This is also where we started to see that Bikers are not as well liked by Coloradoians as we had thought. One car tried to cut us off, one tried to fight with us and then there were a couple of yells.
Third Day - Morrison to Idaho Springs (then onto Breckenridge) - The ride outside of Morrison was great ( HWY 74 up to I-70 and over to Idaho Springs). HWY 74 was nice and winding with some great views and alot pf phone). That part went so quick, we decided to go to Breckenridge. The ride south from Dillon to Breckenridge was pretty nice. We just spent the afternoon walking around and site-seeing.
** Day 3 also saw our first incident. One bike fell, while at the gas station. :(
Continued on the next post ----------- :s

Day four - Today the goal was to go down to Aspen. This was going to be a very long ride and I could tell in the morning that things just were not going to work out. A friend that was local was supposed to go riding with us and when we called him in the morning, he stated that the monsoons were back and the area was supposed to get hit pretty hard. He declined to go and told us to be very careful. This was not a good sign. :no So, we all got on our bikes and headed out. Not more than 10 minutes into the ride, half the group got separated.:33: We drove slow waiting for them to catch up and then even pulled over. We never saw them. So, we drove about 30 miles down the road and pulled over to send them a text (Modern Tech!!!). It was at this time that I was noticing the huge storm coming in. At this point I made up my mind that I was not going to head south. I separated from the group to go north to Nederland, Estes Park and then up to Fort Collins. My ride went without any issues. the ride to Nederland was very nice and I enjoyed the views. Estes Park was great as always and I had sunshine and warm weather. As I came out of Estes, I got some rain. As I came out of the mountains, I could see a huge storm just south….that was when I decided to head north to Ft Collins. Made it to Collins with no rain and had lunch at one of the Breweries - Coopersmiths. :cheers
Headed south to Longmount and ended up do a tour of the local pubs for the rest of the day. :cheers
Now, my friends that headed to Aspen - well, I received a text about 5pm that they had some issues. One of the bikes broke down (Water in the Air intake). They were trying to get it towed and it was raining. (This is incident #2). Long story short…. 2 guys came back about 7pm, the other three came back about 10pm. The bike that broke down stayed near Idaho Springs and the owner rode on the back of a Springer.

What a day for them!!!

Will continue later - - - - - - -:57:

Back