free website stats program total rewire, worked once ,now nothing! | Harley Davidson Forums

total rewire, worked once ,now nothing!

Ok done a total rewire back in summer, fired it up once, broken kicker, so removed tranny and repaired all. now I did not remove any electrical that wasnt nescessary for removal of tranny , got it back together now. now i have power to everything on dash except lights on dash or starter button unless i jumper it from terminal plate behind headlight. ohmed everything out, have voltage to coil, to ignition switch terminals but still will not crank unless its jumpered. i rewired according to the harley manual and clymer book which are the same. checked and rechecked ever connection, still i cannot get it to even crank over, unless i add a jumper where there should not be one. does anyone have a clue what may be going on? had a friend who has worked on these things since he was a child help me he has not seen anything like it.oh sorry for the long post.any help will keep me from turning this old shovelhead into a HAMMERED head.

on one of the terminals behind the headlight but the original diagram does not call for it and it worked before without it.

Check the ignition switch on the tank? We used to clip a wire there to eliminate the lights on when cranking the engine

Back