free website stats program Torque specs for Cam cover bolts | Harley Davidson Forums

Torque specs for Cam cover bolts

PetieJ

After inspecting the cam chain tensioners, I was getting to the point of putting the cam case cover back on. Checking the torque specs in the service manual, it was listed as 125 - 155 in/lbs. This was shown in the torque value table and in the instructions for the installation of the cover. But, in an illustration of said cover, below the image of the sequence for tightening the cover, it stated 90 - 120 in/lbs. Ok, which? I would guess 125 - 155 in/lbs because this is listed twice, but I do not want to guess on these 1/4 in. bolts.

03 Softail Service Manual

Thanks

I have the same manual and I checked it, sure enough it was the same as yours. I would do 125 in/lbs if it were me just to be on the safe side.

Checking the torque specs in the service manual, it was listed as 125 - 155 in/lbs. This was shown in the torque value table and in the instructions for the installation of the cover. But, in an illustration of said cover, below the image of the sequence for tightening the cover, it stated 90 - 120 in/lbs. Ok, which? I would guess 125 - 155 in/lbs because this is listed twice, but I do not want to guess on these 1/4 in. bolts.

WOW. I completely missed this when I did my roller chain conversion. I torqued the cam cover bolts to the same spec as the other 1/4-20 bolt in the job: 90-120 in-lbs! I think I shot for 110 in-lbs as the target using the sequence shown in the book.

So far I have not had any leaking, but I might try snugging them us a bit just to make sure.

My manual does not have the torque reference under the shot of the cover showing the sequence. Only in the body of the instructions and the table as you mentioned. I would suggest sneaking up on the low end of the range in several steps, and then end up somewhere in about the middle of the range. 10-13 ft-lbs. is really not that much, but it seems high for an aluminum cover.

TQ

Last edited:
TQ if it ain't broke don't fix it. It is just a cover, it is not supporting no load so if it isn't leakin keep your cotton pickin fingers away fom it.
kemo

Actually I am with both TQ & Kemo...there are enough fasteners on the perimeter and if their torque is still okay after you check it I would say leave it as well. The deal is to tighten enough not to leak and yet not back out due to vibration and heat. You used sealer on the threads, which "acts" like a lubricant before it sets, so you could easily overtorque them if you use the spec. stated. JMO... Seen too many horror stories about overtorque and fastener breakage/stripping...

All good posts , lube on threads can sometimes cause a false torque stretching the bolts too far

TQ if it ain't broke don't fix it. It is just a cover, it is not supporting no load so if it isn't leakin keep your cotton pickin fingers away fom it.
kemo

Actually, that is pretty good advice. Hate to twist off one of those nice new bolts that Herko provided in the kit, or crack my nice shiny new cover!!

Happy Thankgiving All.

TQ

Back