free website stats program Tool Sizes | Harley Davidson Forums

Tool Sizes

cedarbrook63

Just a request for clarification. A guy I was chatting with the other day (he's manager of a local Honda dealership) warned me against using my good old Stanley hex keys on my Sportster because he said "Harleys use Whitworth sizes not English Imperial". Now I thought that Whitworth was a term applied to the threaded part of the fastener and not the head but I would value any of your views on this if I'm wrong coz I really don't want to damage a fastener. Wikipedia doesn't contradict my current understanding as far as I have read it. Thanks folks. :D

IMO what he was trying to tell you is that there are metric which is measured in MM and SAE bolts on your bike.:D

IMO what he was trying to tell you is that there are metric which is measured in MM and SAE bolts on your bike.:D
Perhaps, though he was pretty adamant about you guys using a different inch system to English Imperial. Maybe he was just playing with my head 'cause I hadn't bought a Honda :) :) . I take it then that my sets of hex keys and bits in inches are fine to use on the HD (I'm glad coz I've already been doing some work with them :D). Thank you.

The Harleys do have some metric threads and also bolts on them so be careful as to the fitment of the wrench before leaning into it.

You will find that Harley has thrown a few metric fasteners into the mix the last few years

The Harleys do have some metric threads and also bolts on them so be careful as to the fitment of the wrench before leaning into it.

Will do. Thanks for the heads up and I'll be sure to check the manual and the forum before taking on a task.

Been a long time since I have heard Whitworth parts used on ANYTHING within the last 50 years...I think it was used on some old British twins...Hey Mr. Peabody, what time should we set the "Wayback Machine" to...?

Old as dirt??!!...Maybe, I should clean the camo dirt off so I can pass as a "normal" middle-aged rider!?? :small3d026:

Back