To dyno or not to dyno??

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by Rafaelw, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Rafaelw

Rafaelw Member

Going to be using a power vision tuner and a heavy breather for my stage one upgrade along with my rush mufflers ,, will my bike need to be dynoed afterwards?
    [​IMG]

2. WildWes72

WildWes72 New Member

No you don't need to but you can't beat a good tune. I have the PV with the autotune pro, I autotuned with a base map I downloaded from Dynojet. I ran it until my 1000 mile check and then took it for a dyno. The dyno-tuned map was allot better as far as performance but it ran hot. I ran a couple autotunes off that map and worked great. Runs cooler and did not hinder performance like I thought it would.

It's a fun little tool, just remember to ride the bike in the area of your riding style and push it a little while you autotune.

3. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Wildwes said it well. A GOOD dyno tune, by someone familiar with PV's will extract every last HP/TQ avail. but running Autotune, and experimenting is more satisfying if that is what you like to do.

4. hillbilly81

hillbilly81 Active Member

I have rode Harleys for 25 years and never had a dyno tune till this year when I bought my road king...so much smoother better running no comparison I would have to say

5. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

You have to check to see; Just How Good the Shop/Operator of the dyno IS... ASK others where they took their bike and how it turned out...Wasting 400$ for a bad tune is NOT Uncommon... ME INCLUDED.
    I ended up Learning this the hard way believing the HD shop and tune guy as his abilities were Not what they fessed to be....

signed....BUBBIE

6. jlbeebe

jlbeebe Member

I agree with Bubbie. I have a hd stg iv kit in my 09 heritage. Took it to the Big Barn in DesMoines for a tune. They charged me $300 and said I need a rebuild because this bike cannot be tuned. I then took it to Doc's hd in St.Louis and spent another $500 for a tune and ended up with a bike that screams when I want it to.

7. ImaRider

ImaRider Active Member

My bike has stage 1 done with complete exhaust and upgraded A/C. I bought a PV-1 and used the map provided. I am happy with the changes it provided. The bike is running cooler and smoother. I won't be doing a dyno tune on it. That is just me though.

8. coopernicus

coopernicus Junior Member Contributor

Same here. I put breather, exhaust and Dobeck Gen 3 tuner and will not be dyno tuning it!! I have everything I wanted out of it....cooler, smoother, more pep and NO decel popping.

9. Rafaelw

Rafaelw Member

Well I went with the heavy breather , and power vision . Should be getting the bike back this afternoon,, the friend that is doing the upgrade,,, said all will be good without a dyno,,, no reason to spend all that money on pretty much nothing... Thanks fellas for all the input.
    [​IMG]