Tires???

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by SAnVA, Jun 15, 2012.

1. SAnVA

SAnVA Member

Hey, I work for Yokohama Tire Corp. in Salem VA. We build passenger car & light truck tires and I know for a fact that some of our tires get better than 60,000 miles of wear. If we can do this on auto & truck tires why can't someone build motorcycle tires that will run 20,000 miles ??? I will soon be replacing the Dunlop wide whites on my 98 Road King and they have less than 10,000 miles! Just curious!

2. Jick Scott

Jick Scott Member

It's all about the MONEY !!!!!!

3. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

There's no reason at all, I agree MONEY talks!

4. Davidw2415

Davidw2415 Senior Member

I replaced my front twice at around 10,000 but the front had just over 20,000. May they just need to make the rear tires twice as much tread depth.

5. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Car tyres can have a hard compound on the tread and a soft sidewall on the tyre and still get good grip
    Car tyres are wider and have a much greater contact area with the road and therefore skip less
    Motorcycle tyres have a narrow contact area with the road and accelerate faster than cars so more skip = more wear
    The loading on a motorcycle tyre has to work at angles so the construction of the tyres are different

Just a few initial thoughts

Brian

6. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Plus...HD's gotta do the sweet tire smok'n burnouts...:s

If they made m/c tires w/same compound & structure as car tires we'd see more "dropped my bike today" stories. Hard tires don't work well on 2-wheels, or in NASCAR either...

7. whacko

whacko Junior Member

Iceman has you covered on this one! It is about traction with motorcycle tires.......you need a softer compound on two wheels so you grip corners. Softer compound = better cornering preformance = fewer miles before replacing. But its a good tradeoff IMO.