free website stats program timing adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

timing adjustment

dawroz

Hallo again.
I have Sporty 1220 (883 after BIG BORE lifting).
I trying to adjust timing correctly. I have DYNA S ignition with mechanic advancer.
Ive tried to adjust it the same like on instructions but my bike is not working correctly after this.
Im reading now that 1200 bike has not the same timing as 883. My marks are for 883.
I want adjust timing without strobo or timing marks.
My question is - how many inches (mm) must I set the igniton before TDC - without touching advancer ?

Hallo again.
I have Sporty 1220 (883 after BIG BORE lifting).
I trying to adjust timing correctly. I have DYNA S ignition with mechanic advancer.
Ive tried to adjust it the same like on instructions but my bike is not working correctly after this.
Im reading now that 1200 bike has not the same timing as 883. My marks are for 883.
I want adjust timing without strobo or timing marks.
My question is - how many inches (mm) must I set the igniton before TDC - without touching advancer ?

Can you just Move tthe adjuster one way or the other to ride and see?

I had an 95 883 that i converted to 1200 HIGH Compression, but can't remember the way I set the timing on it.

Play with setting it and don't run it FAR until you feel Right with it.

30 mph in 3rd/4th gear then fully open the throttle (roll on it) and you should GO with no hesitation or spark knock...

signed....BUBBIE

First off what year is the Sporty? I have the same system in my shovel and a friends 883. The difference in timing for the 1200 versus 883 I couldn't answer. However yours is still an 883 bottom end so time it for that. You didn't change your wheels for a big bore. If you use the test light procedure for the initial set up it will be close, but you should use a timing light for final adjustment. Do you still have the VOES switch on your model, you shouldn't, or is it an older type, again what year model. What coil are you running and what was the original ign. system. Electronic factory uses a different Ohm coil then Dyna S.
tourbox

Hallo.
I have sporty 87' - 883.
Without VOES. Have 5 Ohm coil - DYNA S ignition - with mechanic advancer.
How can I adjust ign properly?

See the attachments I sent. Pay attention to the Static Timing first then do the Dynamic Timing to get it spot on. Do you have a Service Repair manual for your Sporty?
tourbox

Attachments

• Page 2.jpg
    Page 2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Page 3.jpg
    Page 3.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 11
Back