free website stats program Throttle position sensor (tps) problem on 2009 road king??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Throttle position sensor (tps) problem on 2009 road king???

Hi all. I have recently started to have an intermittent problem with my 2009 RK. Occasionally when riding the engine management light comes on and the throttle will not respond. The engine just stays at low revs. I turn off the ignition and wait about 30 seconds, switch back on and the problem seems to "reset" itself. This has happened several times now and once reset I can do over a hundred miles before I get the problem again. A mechanic friend plugged the RK into his computer and downloaded fault codes which indicated a faulty TPS (it showed 6 "events"). Has anyone had any similar experiences and can you help with advice please? My RK has Stage 1 and Screaming Eagle Pro Tuner which has been correctly set up.

I am guessing I need to buy a new TPS and get it fitted but any other advice would be very welcome.
I have had my bike since new and have done 30k on it. It is a "Fly by Wire" throttle.
Thanks
Johnny Red Pen

Hi all. I have recently started to have an intermittent problem with my 2009 RK. Occasionally when riding the engine management light comes on and the throttle will not respond. The engine just stays at low revs. I turn off the ignition and wait about 30 seconds, switch back on and the problem seems to "reset" itself. This has happened several times now and once reset I can do over a hundred miles before I get the problem again. A mechanic friend plugged the RK into his computer and downloaded fault codes which indicated a faulty TPS (it showed 6 "events"). Has anyone had any similar experiences and can you help with advice please? My RK has Stage 1 and Screaming Eagle Pro Tuner which has been correctly set up.

I am guessing I need to buy a new TPS and get it fitted but any other advice would be very welcome.
I have had my bike since new and have done 30k on it. It is a "Fly by Wire" throttle.
Thanks
Johnny Red Pen

My advice would be to replace the TPS. It's about $35 and I think it's pretty easy to replace.

Hi all.
I did some further reading on my alleged "TPS" problem on a variety of forums. One guy said he had had a similar problem and had sorted it by disconnecting the multi plug connection immediately to the rear of the air filter cover, smearing dielectric grease on the connection and reconnecting the multi plug. He said he had not had any further problems.

I did the same and have now covered over 1,000 miles with no further problems. This saved me £100+ for a new TPS and £150+ for the sensor in the handlebar. (Prices were those quoted by my local dealer in the UK). The dielectric grease cost me £5 from the worlds most famous online auction site.

I am posting this update in the hope that it will help anyone with similar problems in the future.

Johnny Red Pen:UK

Glad it worked out. FWIW, you'll get cheaper prices online vs a dealer, but with VAT if not coming out of the UK, it may be a wash.

Back