Thread size for CB antennae

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by horizonchaser, Jan 4, 2009.

1. horizonchaser

horizonchaser Senior Member Contributor

I purchased an HD CB antennae for my Tour Pak to replace what I think was a non stock CB antennae which fell off. My question is: Does anyone know the exact threat size of the antennae? The previous antennae thread mount had an oversize bushing on it to accept the Shorty Antennas. When I unscrewed that, I found what I thought was a 1/4 28 thread size. Turns out it is a 12/24. The replacement HD antennae has what looks like a plastic bushing in the female threads preventing me from screwing it in at all. Is that normal? Should I remove it to see if the 12/24 threads on the male mount will accept it? I don't want to remove the plastic if it is supposed to be there.
    Thanks for your input.
    Sincerely,
    Horizon Chaser

2. DevilDogBagger

DevilDogBagger Member

On my 08 it has set screws that you have to back out or they will vibrate loose. I put short ones on and they do not have set screws. I will go run out to the garage and get the factory ones and my tap and die set and I will have the thread size in a few mins.

3. DevilDogBagger

DevilDogBagger Member

Winner is....... 12/24

just checked it with the gauge.

4. horizonchaser

horizonchaser Senior Member Contributor

Yeah, I found it to be a 12/24 also. I ASSUMED it was a 1/4 28 or 1/4 20 also. But it wasn't screwing in. But like I said. there seems to be, what looks like a plastic band inside the antennae thread preventing me from screwing it in. I am thinking that maybe I ought to just work the darned thing out of there and then try screwing it on the antennae base mount.
    My sincerest thanks to you!
    I have never, EVER posted anything anywhere but I was frustrated with this repalcement antennae, so I was really appreciative to recieve these replys!
    My best! HC

Thanks Big Lew. I have the Shortys also and you're right, they don't have the set screw.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2009