free website stats program This could of been bad. | Harley Davidson Forums

This could of been bad.

FXDFCharlie

I went for a wonderful 200 mile ride this afternoon on my 2009 fxdf. I filled up, after getting back into town, a couple of miles from my house. On the way home I was cruising at about 35mph, coming down a hill, and had to decelerate rapidly for a changing light. I by no means was near skidding, but I was braking with force, almost to a stop, when I hit a bump. Gas sloshed out of my tank and onto my tank/speedo, handlebars, windshield etc. It was on my hand and arm. A little bit ricocheted back on my shirt and in my face. The gas sloshed as I came to a complete stop, so I watched it run down my tank and onto my engine and pipes.
I immediately checked my gas cap and it was tight. I always turn it until it clicks two or three times. My tank was full, but I don't think it was overfilled. I put just over 4gal in a 5gal tank. My fuel range was less than 10 miles left. I stopped a bit below the filler neck.
I just read one of Gliders posts about a safety recall on several fx models "which may have been produced with a defective ultrasonic weld on the anti-slosh valve". My bike fits the production year, but not the dates of manufacture in question. Mine was built in 06-09 according to the frame vin plate. The known defects were 07/2008 (and only for 3 days). 349 bikes were recalled for this defect.
Sorry for this long ramble. I will call the number Glider so graciously provided with his recall notice, and the dealer.
Could this have been human (rider) error? It seems to me that even if I overfilled the tank it shouldn't slosh out. I am almost certain the cap was tight. I want to test the cap and "fuel tank vent tube assembly". If I lean the bike (with help) will gas leak out? Should I remove the tank and tip it instead? Should I wait until Tuesday when the dealer opens? It's going to be nice tomorrow and Monday and I want to ride, but not if I'm not safe.
I would guess that a little less than a 1/2 cup sloshed out. That is more than enough to have burned me badly had it flashed. I want to understand what happened so that it doesn't happen again. Thanks!

If you were to fill the tank to the brim, tighten the cap, and accelerate the bike hard, would any gas come out near the fuel cap.?

It never has before, accelerating or decelerating. In the last couple of days I thought I smelled gas while idling, but not too strong. This seems new. I have put 7000 miles on this bike in 6 months. I would have noticed. I am ocd about getting gas on the tank. It has not leaked previously. The recall mentions a weld failing. Maybe mine just failed.

Glad it didn't catch fire. Where is this anti-slosh valve? In the tank or Cap?
I have noticed when I fill up, if I put downward pressure on the cap it seals better. (Kinda like those child prof medicine caps) The racheting mechenism in the cap seems to activate too soon IMHO & the fuel caps don't get tight enough. This is when the downward pressure helps.

FXDFCharlie; wow, that could've been bad if it turned into "Flaming eXtreme Dyna Fueling Charlie's scoot"...;)

Did the gas come up through the breather/vent tube? I'd call your dealer & let them see if something's wrong - maybe your bike should also be under the recall.

What did the dealer end up telling about this issue?? I have a 2010 Fat Bob and experienced a similar condition while on a long ride the other weekend. I have to bring it in for the 1000 Mile check up and will bring the gas splash issue up.

Got splashed with gas one time after (over)filling tank to the top and accelerating faster than I usually would from a dead stop. Have since done what HarryB suggest every time I fill up and it has not happened again. I think the extra downward pressure does the trick also.

Back