free website stats program Thank you to everyone here! | Harley Davidson Forums

Thank you to everyone here!

I am not new to riding, but I am new this site. Been here a month or two since I bought my New 08 Anniversary Edition Road Glide (Found it as an 08 leftover and got an awesome deal!). I have soaked up all the information I could from all the bikers here. I was coming up on my 1000 mile mark and purchased HD syn 3 for all holes, but the more I read, the more I learned. I have always done my own work on my bikes, and only feel confident when I am involved with the bike. I purchased the service manual, as I do for every bike I have ever owned, and as I prepared to do the 1000 mile service, I decided to return the HD SYN3. My neighbor had a gallon of Amsoil 20W50 so I purchased that from him. I went on a quest to find Spectro6 or red line. Tough to find around these parts, in fact I still have not found Spectro6. I did find the redline products about 20 miles away, so off I went.
I got home, did the service, including the Amsoil, Red Line V Twin syn Primary oil, and the Red Line syn V Twin Trans oil with Shockproof. I then went for a little ride...... WOW. I have never felt any of my harleys shift as smooth and quiet in my life. I have the 08 6 speed which (I learned here) is a bit loud and whiny, but with the change, pretty much all gone! And the characteristic "klunk" of shifting gears was dampened to almost nothing as well. I was a bit worried that I couldnt get all the reg poils out and the new synthetics may be a bit "watered down", but that doesnt seem to be the case.

I just wanted to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge and experiences here. It really helps alot of us, even the "readers only" who dont sign up. I will be here as long as you let me, haha. Thanks again! Be safe!

Last edited:
Welcome to this site its "Rock" have ya already seen. I have notice the folks here talking about the "Klunk thing" so ya might look into upgrading you compensator seem to be lots of talk bout that...jus so ya know.

08roadglider

Glad you found some helpful info here. The only thing I would do different on the next service is NO synthetic oil in the primary. It could induce some clutch slippage as the miles add up later on. Not a problem for now. Just use a 10-30, 10-40 or 20-50 non energy conserving oil next time or the HD Formula+.

If it's a synthetic, it's not the best choice. The primary can get by nicely with most major brands of oil listed in the last post as far as weight.

Wow, from what I gathered all syn was way to go. Actually the bottle just said red line v twin heavy duty primary oil. I was aunder impression all redline products were synthetic.

Never take things for granted. Synthetic has made clutches slip because of the better lubricating properties than dino oil. If the bottle doesn't say synthetic, it probably isn't. Especially if it was labeled primary oil.

Sounds like you are OK if the primary oil didn't say synthetic. The shockproof HEAVY is the way to go using redline trans lube.

Back