free website stats program tfi setting | Harley Davidson Forums

tfi setting

mholl

have tfi on 2009 electra glide with samson slipons & k&n filter in stock breather housing. the green is set at 2:30 have ran about 4000 miles & plugs still look to be lean . do i need to up it to 3:00 or 3:30 ? 90 % of my riding is at 2500 rpm.

You will not get plug color from the modern fuels to set the mixture by. The removal of the tetra-ethyl lead of years past did this.

The only color you will see on plugs is from fuel additives.

Judge how the bike is running as a guide if there is any hesitations or surging. Use the recommended settings and you can back off on them just a bit if the MPG takes a dump.

As Glider says, you can't read plugs accurately anymore with E10 fuels. Did you follow the instructions on how to adjust the Green pot.

(Copy & Paste from instruction manual)

POT #1 - GREEN LED: AIR FUEL MIXTURE ADJUSTMENT
With the TFI installed, bike fully warmed up, and screwdriver in hand, locate the GREEN LED and the first pot, which is right below it. Using the throttle, raise the RPM to a high idle or about 2000 RPM. Once there, slowly turn the green pot clockwise from the 1:00 position (off) until you achieve the highest RPM and smoothest running sound (like a mixture screw on a carburetor). You should find the best setting between 2:30 and 4:00 o’clock.

thanks. yes i did follow the instructions for the green pod & it seems to be running great plenty of power. i was just afraid it was still running lean. thanks again for all the help.

Back