free website stats program TFI Gen-2 and Gen-3 Use Same Cabling? | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI Gen-2 and Gen-3 Use Same Cabling?

RibEye

Sounds like the adjustment of the Gen-3 is more definitive than the Gen-2 (easier to make repeatable settings, considering the sensitivity of the Gen-2 pot adjustments). Do the two products use the same cabling (i.e., can you swap one for the other easily)? I don't remember if the cables are pig-tailed or connector'd. I do remember that hooking up the injector connectors was a bit of a pain. I am considering going to a Gen-3 if easy enough to do so.

Enjoy,
Rich P

RibEye,

One of the reasons we changed to the Gen3 interface is the ability to help customers over the phone more easily. Being able to set settings consistently across different vehicles has been a tremendous help. Also being able to have the controllers pre-programmed to our recommended base settings for a stage 1 modification has been extremely helpful. We literally have guys call in and tell us they installed a Gen3 unit, didn't touch a thing, and their bike runs flawless.

The TFI and Gen3 controllers do use the same cabling for most applications, but you can't just swap the harness connections across the controllers. We've entertained the idea a number of times of implementing a sub-harness connector into our products. Pitfalls end up being concern over a bulky connector to handle all the connections which makes installation worse on applications and of course you have the additional cost added to each controller. We finally addressed this issue though with the Gen4 controller.

RibEye,

One of the reasons we changed to the Gen3 interface is the ability to help customers over the phone more easily. Being able to set settings consistently across different vehicles has been a tremendous help. Also being able to have the controllers pre-programmed to our recommended base settings for a stage 1 modification has been extremely helpful. We literally have guys call in and tell us they installed a Gen3 unit, didn't touch a thing, and their bike runs flawless.

The TFI and Gen3 controllers do use the same cabling for most applications, but you can't just swap the harness connections across the controllers. We've entertained the idea a number of times of implementing a sub-harness connector into our products. Pitfalls end up being concern over a bulky connector to handle all the connections which makes installation worse on applications and of course you have the additional cost added to each controller. We finally addressed this issue though with the Gen4 controller.
Please elaborate on the Gen4 controller, with respect to my current idea of easily swapping the controller with pots for one with digital settings.

Thanks,
Rich P

Unfortunately not even Gen4 is going to be a solution for your current situation. The products (TFI,GEN3,GEN4) are still completely independent from each other. In order to upgrade from the TFI it will be like completely removing the controller from the bike and installing an entirely different product.

The idea behind Gen4 is to improve installation and make it easy to swap controllers for any reason. The worse part about the installation especially for some applications is gaining access to the stock injector connections. Knowing this then we should make sure that an end-user should only ever have to do this once. Our current products fail this point just like your current situation.

For your situation though we could begin offering a cross generation (TFI to GEN3) upgrade program. For sure we can work something out to not make you pay full retail price to upgrade to a newer controller. Ideas you would like to see?

Interesting idea. Such a pain to access injector connectors, and she runs real nice already. I'll stick for now.

Enjoy,
Rich P

For your situation though we could begin offering a cross generation (TFI to GEN3) upgrade program. For sure we can work something out to not make you pay full retail price to upgrade to a newer controller. Ideas you would like to see?

Hmmm...sounds interesting. So what would the TFI to GEN3 upgrade cost & process be for retired military? If it's reasonable - I might swap mine...

Back