Testing The Charging System

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by wrenchbender, Jul 14, 2011.

1. wrenchbender

wrenchbender New Member

Out of ideas Charging system. I've replaced stator and regulator performed all tests that Glider suggested in the Self Help Tips but still no voltage at battery. I even removed paint under the regulator to make sure I had a good ground. Cleaned all 4 ends of battery leads. any ideas sure would help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2011
  2. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

What do you mean by no voltage? The meter has to read something.

I would think there also has to be some kind of breaker or fuse between the regulator and Battery for protection in-case the regulator should internally short out. (in order to prevent a entire meltdown)

Is there one?

Have you already performed an AC output voltage check of the stator in stand-alone mode with the engine running.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

4. wrenchbender

wrenchbender New Member

Ok I was wrong saying NO Voltage, I'am reading battery voltage but not a thing off the charging system. Is there a fuse somewhere I don't know about? That would make since.

5. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Closest manual I have to your bike is a 1990 Softail and it looks like back then there was just 1 main breaker to protect everything. So if the bike starts, there is current going through the breaker. On this manual, there are no other breakers in the charging circuit.

I would check the AC output of the stator. Disconnect the stator from the regulator and see if your have about 50 AC volts at ~2800 RPM.

Was the replacement regulator brand new or a "used good" unit.

6. wrenchbender

wrenchbender New Member

All I can think of is that I got a bad regulator, I thought I had a bad ground, so I jumped from reg housing to a good ground and no help. Checked stator voltage and getting 35 volt out and nothing but battery voltage at the battery. I guess I'll be eatting that regulator, i'am sure there won't take it back.