free website stats program TC Engine differences?? | Harley Davidson Forums

TC Engine differences??

jerrybombard

Being fairly new to HD, but not M/C in general, I have an engine question.
What is the real difference in the TC engines? I know the softails have the balancers, and the touring have the rubber mounted engine. Ever since HD came out with the TC balanced engine, I’ve wondered why not stick that engine in the touring bikes AND have the rubber mounts to make the smoothest engine known to mankind? (at least as far as big twins).
I love my ’07 RKC, and have never ridden a TC balanced engine and wonder just how good those balancers are compared to the rubber mounts. I’m thinking the rubber must be better, otherwise HD would have put the balancers in the touring bikes. Friends have told me the softails will shake your teeth out, while a guy at work (who, as far as I know has no reference) says his Crossbones is smooth as silk. Then again, he may just be looking at my engine at idle and assume that it always shakes like that.
Somebody out there has ridden both models of about the same year, so I’d like some info on all this.

Softails are definitely smoother at idle but touring bikes smooth out nicely once underway. Someone on here once explained why the touring bikes do not have the internal balancers but I can't remember the reason. Hopefully it will be explained to us again very shortly.

See if any of the dealers near you are having demo rides on the 2010 models. That's a great way to test ride a different model to see the differences.

I prefer the "old-school" look of the Heritage and mine doesn't have any noticable vibration. The touring bikes are great at speed and have a smoother ride (air suspension) than the Softails but I don't like the shake at idle. I guess I could learn to live with it if I ever trade for a touring model.

Back