free website stats program Tapping noise/high oil pressure briefly | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tapping noise/high oil pressure briefly

YES glider, and BUBBIE didn't want to post this..

I'm still having trouble with the oil pressure.. Today.. After normal run and gassing up to put it away. Bike set for a few minutes (5 tops) at the gas pump. I went to start it.. Oil light stayed ON and I shut it off..... Started again No pressure.. Raised to a fast idle,,,, NOTHING.. set for a couple minutes started it for the third time..No Oil Pressure.. By then the Lifters were RATTLING form the Lack of oil...

Let it sit for 20 minutes, Started it and I could see oil pressure coming back and hear it refill the clicking lifters BUT pressure STRUGGLING on the gauge to get to 30 lbs at a fast idle...... STUCK relief-valve....I'm very sure and on this New cam plate... It has happened a few other times since the new plate was put in...ONLY after shut off and re-started when HOT.... (sound like yours Mavagrand???) was yours Hot and just re-started to put it away???

NOW, PLEASE don't go with It is the gauge or the oil, or the Muffler bearings..

I really thought it to be the cam-plate on the first go around.. I'm SURE it was the PR valve Not going to the closed position.. I am one with my bike and FEEL it is the PR valve again and YES it is a little different than the first plate in how and when it does it..

Oil pressure today riding was above 35/36+ lbs solid and temperature outside Hot, 80*+...

It idles with proper oil pressure UNTIL it starts with NONE... then after oil comes back,,, it goes into the STRUGGLE mode (low pressure up and down with RPM up and down) at fast idle It Tries to reach 30+ pounds where normally it would be 35/38.. I see the struggle and feel it is NOT the oil pump.. Within 2 minutes it is back to normal and hitting 10/18 at an idle and 35+38 on the ride home.. Go figure..
Well we are Here to help out Mavagrand so I hope reading this does HELP...

I just changed oil and filter(HD) last night and rode it for the first time today after change.. 40/50 lbs in the morning cold oil then fluctuating as the PR valve tries to lower the over pressure which IS NORMAL. to 35+38 range after warmed for a few miles..

NOW i say this... I believe some HD,s with out the oil gauge like I have don't see what I have seen and I do believe the problem IS the PR valve sticking at on place or another and

THINK it to be Mavagrand's problem showing up as a sticking relief valve.. Oil pressure low enough to TAP on the empty or low oil lifters.. It takes about 1/2 a minute of running to empty and KLANK the lifters.

I used to have long hair Now short from pulling it out...:bigsmiley13:

No one else has had this problem like Me that I have found and On A new cam-plate to boot EH..:D

One thought is the wave washer in the oil pump BUT I didn't find it to Not do it's job(keeping the gerotors pushed against their mating oil surface housing... 99.9% of the time,,, bike runs fine and it pumps high normal pressures and never misses a beat... Just after a HOT restart does it occasionally go into the No Oil mode and then the struggle mode when it comes back..

When oil pressure comes back, It is at the Very Front of the motor start not during the running.

signed....BUBBIE

Yes, I will put in a new oil pump, JUST to toss parts at it.:naughty

27,000 on the ticker

YES glider, and BUBBIE didn't want to post this..

I'm still having trouble with the oil pressure.. Today.. After normal run and gassing up to put it away. Bike set for a few minutes (5 tops) at the gas pump. I went to start it.. Oil light stayed ON and I shut it off..... Started again No pressure.. Raised to a fast idle,,,, NOTHING.. set for a couple minutes started it for the third time..No Oil Pressure.. By then the Lifters were RATTLING form the Lack of oil...

Let it sit for 20 minutes, Started it and I could see oil pressure coming back and hear it refill the clicking lifters BUT pressure STRUGGLING on the gauge to get to 30 lbs at a fast idle...... STUCK relief-valve....I'm very sure and on this New cam plate... It has happened a few other times since the new plate was put in...ONLY after shut off and re-started when HOT.... (sound like yours Mavagrand???) was yours Hot and just re-started to put it away???

NOW, PLEASE don't go with It is the gauge or the oil, or the Muffler bearings..

I really thought it to be the cam-plate on the first go around.. I'm SURE it was the PR valve Not going to the closed position.. I am one with my bike and FEEL it is the PR valve again and YES it is a little different than the first plate in how and when it does it..

Oil pressure today riding was above 35/36+ lbs solid and temperature outside Hot, 80*+...

It idles with proper oil pressure UNTIL it starts with NONE... then after oil comes back,,, it goes into the STRUGGLE mode (low pressure up and down with RPM up and down) at fast idle It Tries to reach 30+ pounds where normally it would be 35/38.. I see the struggle and feel it is NOT the oil pump.. Within 2 minutes it is back to normal and hitting 10/18 at an idle and 35+38 on the ride home.. Go figure..
Well we are Here to help out Mavagrand so I hope reading this does HELP...

I just changed oil and filter(HD) last night and rode it for the first time today after change.. 40/50 lbs in the morning cold oil then fluctuating as the PR valve tries to lower the over pressure which IS NORMAL. to 35+38 range after warmed for a few miles..

NOW i say this... I believe some HD,s with out the oil gauge like I have don't see what I have seen and I do believe the problem IS the PR valve sticking at on place or another and

THINK it to be Mavagrand's problem showing up as a sticking relief valve.. Oil pressure low enough to TAP on the empty or low oil lifters.. It takes about 1/2 a minute of running to empty and KLANK the lifters.

I used to have long hair Now short from pulling it out...:bigsmiley13:

No one else has had this problem like Me that I have found and On A new cam-plate to boot EH..:D

One thought is the wave washer in the oil pump BUT I didn't find it to Not do it's job(keeping the gerotors pushed against their mating oil surface housing... 99.9% of the time,,, bike runs fine and it pumps high normal pressures and never misses a beat... Just after a HOT restart does it occasionally go into the No Oil mode and then the struggle mode when it comes back..

When oil pressure comes back, It is at the Very Front of the motor start not during the running.

signed....BUBBIE

Yes, I will put in a new oil pump, JUST to toss parts at it.:naughty

27,000 on the ticker

Bubbie, my bike has only done this once and it was after stopping for lunch prior to loading her on the auto train. There was about a five minute ride from the restaurant to the train depot. As I was pulling into the loading area is when the tapping started. I wish I could tell you if it was the lifters or the valves but, honestly, I don't know the difference between the two. I can tell you it was a loud, distinct "tapping" that was related to RPMs. We had sat in the restaurant for maybe 45 minutes so the bike was still warm. I did not think to check the oil pressure at the time.

The next morning we detrained in Sanford and I checked my oil..it was good. Fired the bike up afraid I was going to hear the tapping but did not. Started riding her and noticed the oil pressure was high...normally my bike is just north of 30 psi at speed. This time she was reading between 30 and 60 never seen her that high before. At idle she would drop down to the 30 mark but shoot back up with throttle. As we rode the pressure was dropping and eventually settled down at the normal range. I honestly thought it might have been because the bike had sat in an air conditioned train car over night and the oil was thick. The bike had condensation on it when they took it off the train. I figured the oil in the cooler may have gotten colder and was thicker then normal. Anyway, we rode for about thirty minutes when we stopped for fuel. Fueled up, fired her up and off we went, everything was normal.

it was about an hour and a half ride on I4 to home. I didn't have my radio on (wanted to hear if the tapping came back) and kept my eye on the oil pressure gauge..everything was normal the entire time.

I'm wondering if something got in the lines when I installed the oil cooler. I took it off several times, reconnecting and connecting the lines. I'm gonna clean my oil catch pan, drain the oil and examine my filter, see if that tells me anything.

I do think the oil cooler and this problem are related...my bike has 27k on the clock and has never given me a problem before this.

There are HD's that Have had the sticking open of the PR valve and it may have happened only once. I have talked with a few of the builders that have had a problem OR taken theirs apart and like TQ1 said inspect and Clean the PR valve very good and check for smoothness there.. His (TQ's)Popsicle stick trick worked great to hold and move around the plunger-piston to Feel for abnormalities. None were found in the old PR valve but I never checked the new one as the bores seemed to be Polished like glass.. This Has happened about 4 times now over the last 5,000 miles... Darned to be that long in-between problem times,, working good other than a Few times to me leaves the pump out of the question for me BUT???

Your problem;
The possibility of a very small piece of debris is NOT out of the realm for your problem.. Lifter clatter is loud and It sounds like that is what it was..being in time with the rpm changes for sure.. And Not happening at next startup because of oil thickness and the full opening of the PR valve , so it cleaned it's self out.. More than likely gone and in the filter now.. This valve is very Tight tolerance and any thing a big as a hair could do the sticking...:bigsmiley13: Maybe???

I personally would run your bike like it is and it Probably will not happen again...
Taking it apart and back together leaves More chance to get something into the oil system..

Lucky You.:D

signed....BUBBIE

Back