free website stats program Talking with Salesman | Harley Davidson Forums

Talking with Salesman

wconn1979

Right now I am still talking with the dealer about what bike I am interested in, the options I would like and stuff like that. What kind of options and stuff should I be thinking about. This will be my first HD and the first bike I have bought from a dealer so I could use all the advice I can get!

Thanks

Just keep in mind that it is a buyer's market right now. Above all make sure that whatever you decide you are comfortable riding it. All the trinkets and goodies can come later.

I would just pick one and go for it! One issue that we all face is that there are at least 3 HDs that we MUST HAVE!!! Lol... but if you can only have one, just go get one.

as said before its a buyers mkt. I would look around there are alot of good bikes priced under what the dealers want around here.remeber if financing is the reason your at the dealers harley will finance a used bike from a privet sale. good luck. jmho

Just keep in mind that it is a buyer's market right now. Above all make sure that whatever you decide you are comfortable riding it. All the trinkets and goodies can come later.

+1 on the being comfortable with the bike. Test ride it, rent one for the day, just make sure that it is the bike for you. If you get stuck with a bike you are not comfortable with, it is going to cost you. Of course, if money is no object.............

Here is one way to look at it.
As for what bike think long and hard about what you know your going to do with it and what you would like to do with. Find the model that can do it best for you. They almost all feel great when you sit on the in the show room and they all feel bigger than they are.
Forgo any mods to the bike you do not have to have to make the bike fit you. I will try to list some reasons.
1. financing mods can quickly make an affordable bike not.
2. Mods do not add to the value of the bike. Should you find it is not the bike for you down the road all cash spent on mods it just about lost.
3. You said first HD. Well you have a big learning curve coming, every time you think you have it figured out, more options and ideas will becoming at you. Take the time to fully understand what your doing to it and why.
Example buying pipes you latter find to loud to quiet not the look you wanted is expensive.
You only really going to learn most of this by getting out there and riding it around other HD's
4. It is just way to easy to go nuts in the Hd toy store.
5. doing your mods slowly of time keeps the bike fresh if you do a lot at once you have to spend even more to get the same joy from changing it.
6. While I buy 90% of everything for my Hd's from a dealer not everyone does you may wish to buy some were else. If you do buy from the dealer if you do it all the day you get the bike ,there you go out the door. If you pick up a part for mods here and there from dealer you build a relationship with them. Dealers treat customers they have a steady relationship with better.
As always your ride your cash your call.
Enjoy the ride

+ 1 on everthing he said... one of the best parts of the Harley experince is fixing it up yourself the way you want it and the feeling you get when the job is done....plus you will save a ton of cash....:s

Smitty pretty much said it all, I have managed to get the dealship to throw in a service manual for free for the last two bikes I bought. Right before signing the paperwork after it is all typed up and ready to sighn is when you request this, that way they do not add it to the cost. A manual is an absolute must for any bike you purchase and an expense most people do not wish to make. I never understood that but yet I have so many many friends coming to my house so they can look at my manuals.
Good luck with the purchase and please shop around, with the economy the way it is there are a lot of great deals out there.

I personnally don't deal with one dealer. Unless you know these people there are usually several dealers within aresonable distance to you and you should use them. JMO

Check out all the stillerships in your area, prices do vary. Go to a local bike night and talk to a few of the bikers for info on likes and dislikes of their bikes and dealers.

IMHO, I'd steer clear of any extended warranty offers. And, with it being a "buyer's market", I'd get them to throw in as much as you can... accessories, helmet, service/parts manuals, etc. Work it. Good luck... keep the rubber side down.

Bill

Back