free website stats program Tachometer | Harley Davidson Forums

Tachometer

softy

Trying to install pink wire in 39B but I cannot get it all the way in the connector. Is there a special tool for this?

Don't know exactly what your doing but "To install",, usually you should not need a tool.

In truth, for that connector, there is a tool, that one one end slips over the retainer to release, and on the other end, it has a split cylinder that you can slip over the wire, but it applies pressure to the back side of teh pin to get it past teh retainer. The part does not come with the tool, and it is possible to do the job without it, but it ain't easy. Be careful not to flex the wire too much so it breaks in the insulation, or pulls out of the pin/socket. You might try a moderately sized paper clip, straightened, to apply pressure to the back side of the pin.

Be careful. Don't settle for anything but a positive pin retension, or it will pull out at some inconvenient time.

Good luck,
Rich P

Thanks for replys. Never got the pin to seat properly and you guessed it,I broke the wire trying to pull it back out. The pin is still in the connector and I cannot remove it. Is there anyplace else I can hook the wire to. The signal to no.3 pin has to be coming from somewhere.

for that connector, there is a tool,

Rich, The closest connector I find that needs a tool to insert wires is AMP. Is that it?

It can't be Weather pack, Molex, Packard 150 or Deutsch because it appears they only need tools for removal.
(Five different brands/types of connectors used just on my bike alone! )

I would like to get that tool ahead of time.

Tks!

Rich, The closest connector I find that needs a tool to insert wires is AMP. Is that it?

It can't be Weather pack, Molex, Packard 150 or Deutsch because it appears they only need tools for removal.
(Five different brands/types of connectors used just on my bike alone! )

I would like to get that tool ahead of time.

Tks!
The tool I used is one I had from my days as a technician. It does not have a manufacturer on it. It is red on one end and white on the other. The red end had the half-cylidrical part for pushing the pin in and teh wite end has teh split full cylinder to release the retainer. It worked but is not thecorrect one for the job. I suggest that the dealer should be able to point you in teh right direction...

Good luck, and post back with what you find.

Rich P

Rich, my HD service manual actually has a 36 page chapter that is devoted just to the different connectors used along with the special tools. I will tell you it is frustrating with all the different types and brands of connectors used, you never seem to have the right tool...

On my bike alone there are at least 5 different brands and types of connectors. Not including the large ECM connectors. It is enough to drive me crazy.

Terminal (P/N 74196-04) fits in speedo connector No.3 and also you can hook it up at #3 position in the plug at the ECM. Harley does have a tool that removes the pin but none that installs it that I could find. Went to a different site to find this info out since my thread was hijacked.

Went to a different site to find this info out since my thread was hijacked.

You went to a different site because your Thread was Hijack? How so. There are 7 posts, all of which apply to trying to find an inserting tool if one even existed. All of which was intended to help you out. I myself spent 30 minutes looking through electronic catalogs of tools.

Back