free website stats program Tachometer Condensation – 2009 Street Bob | Harley Davidson Forums

Tachometer Condensation – 2009 Street Bob

I purchased my first Harley (and rode bike for that matter) about two months ago from a Harley Dealer. It only had 1700 miles on it when purchased and I've rode roughly 1000 miles since purchase. After my first ride I noticed a little condensation IN the tachometer and didn't think much of it. Remember, I'm new to Harley and rode bikes. I just got back from a decent size ride and had a good amount condensation in the tachometer which is electrical. Can the condensation (aka water) inside the tachometer short the electrical resulting in a big mechanic bill for me.

Is this a normal issue? My thoughts is the guy who had the bike before got caught in the rain and/or a seal went bad and allowed the water in.

Thoughts please... What is the normal action? Is this something I need to use a certified mechanical for because of the electrical, or can I just take off the tachometer and dry it out?

I just bought a service manual and it seems pretty easy to take the tachometer off.

Thank you,

Jonny/

Thanks for the reply. I'm not a fan of the "it just happens" answer and they are discussing the gas gauge. I am referring to the tachometer, speedometer, and electrical gas gauge, and mileage counter. They are all on the gauge that the condensation accumulates.

Thoughts?

Is there a warranty on the bike? Ask for another tach. Does not hurt to ask.I would think that the seal on the housing somewhere has a defect for it to be sweating on the inside.
With moisture building up inside, most likely the face of the tach will start to discolor long before you have trouble with anything electrical.

Thanks for the reply and yes it is hard not to get caught in the rain especially when you live in the Seattle area. Looks like I will see if it is still under warranty, which I doubt, or see if I can just take the gauge off and blow dry it.

I was just curious if this is a common problem with a good answer.

Thanks,

Jonny/

Back