free website stats program Tach Install Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Tach Install Question

CHEVY5637

I have a 2006 softail fxsti. Wired up everything except stuck on the last wire which is supposed to hook up to the negative side of the coil. I have four wires in a plug that connects to the coil. Yellow with green stripe Gray with black stripe Yellow with blue stripe and Blue with pink stripe. Does anybody know which wire I should be tapping into? Thanks in advance.

Don't know if this will help? Here what the wires are for.
06fxsticoil.jpg

Just trying to help as I just installed the mini tach on my 07 FLHR and I may be missing the point totally:
Is your last wire you're referring to the pink, the tach signal wire? Looking at the instructions -J03119 that came with my unit, does your 06 FXSTI not fall under ‘For all other models’ as per last paragraph on pg 3 of 8, and connect to cavity 3 of connector #39B, the speedometer plug? Seems to me that is the only place your 06 softail fits the install instructions, same as my 07 RK.

Does anybody know which wire I should be tapping into?

Maybe none. Was the tach your installing made for twin coils that are single fired?
There are 2 "negative side of the coil" wires on the diagram Chopper uploaded. Y/BE & BE/O are BOTH negative sides of the coil. One is for the front coil and the other is for the rear coil. Even though the coil is a single unit, it actually is 2 coils each having a negative side of the coil. Be careful, there are ~ 300 volt spikes on those 2 wires.

Your tach will display either the correct RPM or 1/2 the correct RPM. It all depends on the tach your installing.

Hard to answer your question since you gave us no info on what your installing.

Thanks for all your replies. It was a tach from JP Cycles which stated it would work with my year of bike. The instructions it came with were for an older style bike. It was a green wire from the tach that connected to negative terminal on coil. Luckily I called a friend who knows a friend that answered my question. Thanks again and Hoople is right.

Thanks for all your replies. It was a tach from JP Cycles which stated it would work with my year of bike. The instructions it came with were for an older style bike. It was a green wire from the tach that connected to negative terminal on coil. Luckily I called a friend who knows a friend that answered my question. Thanks again and Hoople is right.

Hoople is always right when it comes to electrical:s

Back