Swingarm Transmission Alignment

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by danthern, Sep 18, 2014.

1. danthern

danthern Active Member

Hello Gents....2009 FLHRC that I removed the swingarm pivot shaft to rule out the source of a noise. Pivot shaft is fine but I let the tranny drop and the alignment is out. I've tried several combinations of strategically placed jacks and wood blocks but can't get it to line up. What's the best way to do this? Big time foul up, I know....live and learn. Thanks in advance

2. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

So you can not get your tranny to come up between the frame points so that you can reinsert the pivot shaft, right?

What did the tranny hit when it fell? Can you see anything bent like the pipes or the link at the top of the engine? Does that bike have a link at the front of the engine too?

Take some pix of the problem and post them.

Cheers,

TQ

3. danthern

danthern Active Member

That's correct. It didn't really "fall" the rear of the tranny just dropped. It does have the front stabilizer link. Pic to follow

4. TQuentin1

So does it fit up in the slot/frame but is just too far back for the holes to line up, or has it twisted a bit and will not fit up in the slot/frame?

Cheers,

TQ

5. danthern

danthern Active Member

I'd say it's twisted because when I attempt to raise the tranny, the frame moves with it...can't figure out how to post a pic, btw...

6. stray dog

stray dog Junior Member

My 03 has a stabilizer on top between the jugs, I would think the newer frame has it also. Maybe something is bent there.

Good Luck

7. danthern

danthern Active Member

Think I'm gonna take the tire off. Should be a lot easier to get at.....

8. TQuentin1

Absolutely. I did not realize that you did not have that off. Makes it much easier to man-handle the swingarm.

Cheers,

TQ

9. DFHarley19

DFHarley19 Active Member

10. dolt

dolt Senior Member Contributor

:newsmile100: Great idea! A service manual would come in real handy right about now.:D