free website stats program Suggestions on trailer tires | Harley Davidson Forums

Suggestions on trailer tires

gator508

Experienced Member
When we got back from Salt Springs, I decided the trailer tires had seen their last trip, so I'm hunting for suitable replacements.

Any suggestions from will be welcome. I've got about 10 years and about 8K on the present ones (good or bad mileage) Thanks!:D

We use Carlisle duratrail radial tires on all of our trailers with no warranty issues. Make sure your new tires are an ST tire and not a P. Passenger tires are illegal on trailers in Canada and the U.S. What size of tire is on your trailer?

With all the trailers I've owned it wasn't the milage that got them it was they got weather checked sitting outside.

We use Carlisle duratrail radial tires on all of our trailers with no warranty issues. Make sure your new tires are an ST tire and not a P. Passenger tires are illegal on trailers in Canada and the U.S. What size of tire is on your trailer?

Steve,
Thanks for getting back. I am running 205/75/D15, which is a 6 ply tire, Star trail is the brand, thinking of running radials, but really don't know if this is an advantage. I have not had any issues, but they are starting to wear and crack a little, so it's time to replace. I'll look at Carlisle if available here. Thanks!:D

With all the trailers I've owned it wasn't the milage that got them it was they got weather checked sitting outside.

Thanks Jeff,
I agree with what you are saying. The folks I bought the trailer from suggested during periods of long non use, that I jack the tires off the ground so no flat spots develop, I have done this and also have used a silicone spray to treat them from time to time, similar to ArmorAll. Thanks!:D

That Jacking them up OFF the ground iS what I do to my little covered trailer.

SUN is the Ruination of rubber though...

You really got Time out of them and sounds like they were Kept in Good Shape...... Good for you.
There are some Motorhome, Trailer supplies that discount tires But like Steve says Make sure they are for the trailer and correct # for the weight total also...

On my little trailer, keeping Off the ground, I give tires an occasional Spin to re-locate lube for the bearings. I don't know IF spinning does anything Real Beneficial BUT I feel better doing it. :D

I prefer NON radials..... IMO On A Trailer (radials do Heat and Flex too much in my book)

signed....BUBBIE

That Jacking them up OFF the ground iS what I do to my little covered trailer.

SUN is the Ruination of rubber though...

You really got Time out of them and sounds like they were Kept in Good Shape...... Good for you.
There are some Motorhome, Trailer supplies that discount tires But like Steve says Make sure they are for the trailer and correct # for the weight total also...

On my little trailer, keeping Off the ground, I give tires an occasional Spin to re-locate lube for the bearings. I don't know IF spinning does anything Real Beneficial BUT I feel better doing it. :D

I prefer NON radials..... IMO On A Trailer (radials do Heat and Flex too much in my book)

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks Bubbie,

The trailer is a 5x8 utility, 3200 max load, works great for hauling the bike and other stuff. I would like to get the same performance that I did on the original set.:D

Not to change the subject but I also add bearing buddies to my trailors. Beats the heck out of manually packing the bearings.:s

Back