free website stats program Stuck Brake Pad Pins | Harley Davidson Forums

Stuck Brake Pad Pins

primera

Following 02FXST HD Manual, I removed brake pads

prior to removing wheel to fix a flat. Fixed

flat/installed new floating break rotor. Prior to

reinstalling rear wheel, I installed new inside

brake pad and did tighten the pad pins just a bit.

Installed wheel and now,new outside break pad will

not fit. Seems the floating button on new rotor is

blocking install. When I attempt to remove new

inside break pad, the pins will not pull out

although pins are completely loosened. Both sides

of brake have pistons are fully retracted into

their bores. I have not pumped or engaged the brake

pedal.Thinking of reusing old brake pads (still

have some life) to break in new rotor but first

have to remove new inside pad. Thinking if I pump

brake pedal that might unstick the pad pins, but

I'm afraid of outside pistons coming out of their

bore. How do I unstick the brake pad pins? Why are

new brake pads not able to fit with new floating

rotor?

I'm afraid of outside pistons coming out of their

bore. How do I unstick the brake pad pins? Why are

new brake pads not able to fit with new floating

rotor?

I suggest pulling the axle out a bit to allow the caliper assy more freedom of movement. Then see if you can get the pins out. If not, you can put something (like a piece of wood) between the pistons and the rotor on the outside and gently pump the pedal to see if that does in fact loosen the pins.

But a more fundemental question: is the new floating rotor the EXACT diameter as the OEM (or whatever was on there) rotor? It sounds to me like the rotor is jammed against the pins. If it is the same size, are the new pads the same shape as the old ones (same profile on the metal backing)?

TQ

Thanks for the reply, TQ. Floating rotor is an HD Multi fit that covers the 02FXST (11 1/2") and the new pads are OEM. But you’re right. Ended up loosening the axle and pulling it out a bit. Managed to pull out the pins and than reinstalled my old pads. Figured new rotor/new pads but the new pads are such a tight fit I decided to break in the rotor first. Never have had any problems with pins when replacing pads but I shouldn’t have removed the pads prior to removing the wheel. Got to learn to outsmart the HD manual.
Primera

Thanks for the reply, TQ. Floating rotor is an HD Multi fit that covers the 02FXST (11 1/2") and the new pads are OEM. But you’re right. Ended up loosening the axle and pulling it out a bit. Managed to pull out the pins and than reinstalled my old pads. Figured new rotor/new pads but the new pads are such a tight fit I decided to break in the rotor first. Never have had any problems with pins when replacing pads but I shouldn’t have removed the pads prior to removing the wheel. Got to learn to outsmart the HD manual.
Primera

Just a thought, you may want to check the pins very carefully for wear (or displaced metal). Sometimes metal can be displaced and form a slight step that can cause binding when pushed thru the bores, or if you swapped them around so the wear pattern is in a different place. :s

Primera

OK, good. So it sounds like the old pads fit, right? Did you compare the new pads to the old ones? Were they the same profile? And does the new rotor diameter MEASURE the same as the old one?

TQ

OK, good. So it sounds like the old pads fit, right? Did you compare the new pads to the old ones? Were they the same profile? And does the new rotor diameter MEASURE the same as the old one?

TQ

Right, the old pads fit. Both sets of pads are identical in profile and the old rotor is 11 1/2". Took her out for a spin today and everything is fine. I'm gonna watch the pads for wear. I tend to eat up rear brake pads on that bike and I figured since I had to fix a flat, I'd put on a floating rotor. Never figured on any fitment problems with the pads and the rotor. Just a tight fit that I'll have to wrestle with once the rotor has broken in some.

Thanks,
Primera

Just a thought, you may want to check the pins very carefully for wear (or displaced metal). Sometimes metal can be displaced and form a slight step that can cause binding when pushed thru the bores, or if you swapped them around so the wear pattern is in a different place. :s

Good thought. Since I already have the pads, I'll break out for new pins next time. I noticed that they have new chrome pad pins for 10.95 online. Maybe I can save a few bucks by requesting orginal black pins at the counter. Must fight the Chrome Gods at every level. LOL

Thanks for the reply,
Primera

Right, the old pads fit. Both sets of pads are identical in profile and the old rotor is 11 1/2". Took her out for a spin today and everything is fine. I'm gonna watch the pads for wear. I tend to eat up rear brake pads on that bike and I figured since I had to fix a flat, I'd put on a floating rotor. Never figured on any fitment problems with the pads and the rotor. Just a tight fit that I'll have to wrestle with once the rotor has broken in some.

Thanks,
Primera

The inner and outer pads should wear even as the caliper centers itself over the rotor (if the pins and sliding surfaces were properly cleaned, lubricated and fitted). :s

If they are black or plain steel the surface may pit or corrode. The advantage with chrome pins...they are clean and slippery, but stainless steel ones are best.

Uneven wear indicates the caliper travel is not centering, with binding in the enabled or the released position. The rotor "run-out" (wobble) should gently nudge both pads away (most brake calipers are not double-action with pressurized release)...pushing the pistons on either side into their respective unpressurized bores.:coffee

Back