free website stats program stuck baffle | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

stuck baffle

Let me understand this. You said you tried to drive it out from the headpipe end but can't get to it because the way the muffler is made?

Take a heavy coat hanger wire or welding rod, the heavier the better. Take about a 20” long straight piece an bend it in a 180 degree u with the u about 2” wide and about 10” long with even length ends. Now on each raw end of wire bend out a tight 135-degree bend about a 3/8-inch long. Now you hook the 3/8 bends in the holes in the baffle use a hammer or? To knock out baffles by hitting the 2” u. You may need to rebend the 135-degree ends a couple time but it will work.

Re: exhaust baffles

Take a heavy coat hanger wire or welding rod, the heavier the better. Take about a 20” long straight piece an bend it in a 180 degree u with the u about 2” wide and about 10” long with even length ends. Now on each raw end of wire bend out a tight 135-degree bend about a 3/8-inch long. Now you hook the 3/8 bends in the holes in the baffle use a hammer or? To knock out baffles by hitting the 2” u. You may need to rebend the 135-degree ends a couple time but it will work.

Let me understand this. You said you tried to drive it out from the headpipe end but can't get to it because the way the muffler is made?

when I had the muffler ofrf , I was gonna drive it out with a broom stick . but i couldn't get a solid lick on baffle because of how the pipe is shaped

when I had the muffler ofrf , I was gonna drive it out with a broom stick . but i couldn't get a solid lick on baffle because of how the pipe is shaped

Mark; I tried using a broomstick to remove my baffles (screamin eagle), I dinged up the end of my pipes and the baffle never budged. Then I used a metal jack handle, and it came out fairly easy. It needs a sharp rap. I think your slide hammer will work. Be CAREFUL, the newer and shineyier (?) your mufflers are, the easier they scratch or ding. :(
The reason they're so tight is the baffle flange is made to be an interference fit to prevent rattles.

Last edited:
I'd try to give you some advice, but I'm baffled. Hahaha. Get it??? Baffled??? Ok, I'm going riding. I can only take so much of my stupid jokes. Y'all have a great day :cheers

Mark,
Your two threads have been merged.

Please do not post the same question in two different places on the forum.

One thread will get the consolidated thinking and answers you will require. Putting it in two different areas of the Forums might seem wise but it will not usually work well in getting answers or consolidated thinking on your issue. Besides that, it is against the rules. Cross posting is not allowed.

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding.

Sorry bout that .. Didn't mean to do it .. the post were on different days ..my fault

Back