free website stats program Stripping coating from aluminum | Harley Davidson Forums

Stripping coating from aluminum

alto

I tried searching but came up empty. One of my motorcycles is a 1983 Roadster. Has anyone had luck with any certain product to remove the factory coating on the aluminum cases.id like to strip the coating and polish with something like semichrome polish.

If you are talking about the clear coating, paint remover will remove it.

Wet sanding will too but it's labor intensive and there will be more polishing to do too.

Thanks,glider. Just regular paint remover....good deal. I thought it would be something exotic

I stripped all the clear from my sportster engine cases and rocker covers using paint stripper i used a gel paint stripper left it on for 5 mins the clear then bubbles up and will scrape off using a plastic scraper
i then polished the casings using a bench polisher then re coated with a bare metal lacquer

Brian

Simichrome is an excellent finishing polish. Depending on the initial condition of the metal, I start by wet sanding with 600/800/1000/1500 paper, then use the Simichrome (or other brand) for the final hi-luster polish. I finish with a pure wax to slow the oxidation down. I only need to polish my alum. twice a year to keep it nice.
bikes121611028.jpg

WOW !! If thats aluminum I'm impressed. I have to google that product

Actually I don't use Simichrome. It and Wenol are probably the best, but kind of expensive for a little tube. I use Mothers mag and alum polish ($8 for 6 oz. at most auto parts) or Bush's Alum polish ($16 for 12 oz at truck stops). For the very final polish I use a auto cleaner/sealer that barely contains abrasive.

Stripper to get rid of the old stuff.
Fine steel wool then blow off the engine to get ride of the wool frags.
Semichrome, or mothers aluminun polish to finish.
The results are amazing. No need to chrome and cause a heat retention issue especially with these newer models and the heat they generate.

Back