free website stats program Stripped Threads | Harley Davidson Forums

Stripped Threads

softy

Stripped the transmission plug threads on my 2005 FXSTS and not comfortable using Helicoils. Is there another option?

Self threading repair bolts for drain plugs, NAPA Sells them, I had occasion to use them a few times over the years.

When you get it fixed, see if you can find a 2-piece drain plug. You screw the large one in, and a smaller one fits in the large one. You pull the small one everytime to drain, leaving the large one in. it will never strip again...

looks like a pretty good product I might have to give it a try .... been usin something similar called thread-serts, I like the counter bore with the time sert system though and yu dont stake them in place, I like that.

I like Keenserts, they are much better than heli-coils in my opinion. You can get them at a good machine tool supply house. They are easy to install, permanent, and just about bullet proof.

1999 Road King Classic, last oil changed stripped the threads. Now that we have snow on the ground, I can fix the problem that I caused. I will be doing the time sert. Can a member tell me the kit number I would need? Also, oil pan on the bike or remove from the bike? As always, appreciate all the members help on the 4M. Thanks.

Back