free website stats program Stripped Spark plug thread solutions? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stripped Spark plug thread solutions?

Crazy week, but finally got around to removing the rear cyl. head. Thank you guys, for all the replies, I'm not afraid to turn a wrench on a Harley, but I normally don't get into the motor's internals. This was my first head removal and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I had a dealership tell me that they would send it (the head) to a machine shop, where they would "add material by welding it in and then re-thread the plug hole". So I called some machine shops around here and all of them said "they have never done that and what they can or would do, is an insert. With all the advise you guys have given me I think i'm gonna have a shop do the insert. With that being said, besides the proper loctites, torque values, and gaskets, does anyone have any special tips on reassembling the head after I get it back? The push rods were removed in the "unloaded" state and piston at TDC. Here are some pics and thanks again guys!

Follow the manual on the torque and clean the area good and you should be good to go:s

One more thing, is there a difference between the Time-Sert and the Keensert products? Or are they the same thing, just different vendors?

Yes, time serts are a more complete repair solid threads as opposed to heli coils more like a spring, time serts are a permanent repair heli coils well temp at best on high load repairs:s

I was an F-14 Ordnaceman. We used heli-coils for Sidewinder and Sparrow stations on a supersonic aircraft. The "A" and "B" stations were held in place with heli-coils. I have loaded numerous Sidewinders and Sparrows and have never seen one pull out. I have seen many damaged by maintenance errors but never saw one pull out even when picking up the pieces of a high speed (in excess of 570 mph) Tomcat jet that crashed.

When I worked on Weapons elevators I had problems with actuators pulling out of clevises. After repairing with heli-coils, I never had another hydraulic actuator pull out of a clevis. I have read in tech manuals that a heil-coil is a stronger repair than the original tapped threads.

I like heli-coils based on my use of them while in the Navy.

Just my $.02.

Yes, time serts are a more complete repair solid threads as opposed to heli coils more like a spring, time serts are a permanent repair heli coils well temp at best on high load repairs:s

Jack has it nailed, heli-coils are a temporary fix. I have repaired many plug holes over the years on bikes, sleds, small blocks, etc... and time serts are the way to go, I have never had one fail yet.

Bill

Cannot thank all of you guys enough for the great input, got it back sat., went with the serts, looks solid and looks right! Only thing left to do now is, to get it back together. Thanks again guys!

Back