free website stats program STP Gas additive, Trying to understand ! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

STP Gas additive, Trying to understand !

So I'm filling up and figure let me pour a bottle of this
tn477s3.jpg

in the tank as I'm filling up..

Any Ideas?

Just be careful... I had some serious issues with over using fuel injector cleaner a while back. It did say on the label to only use just before an oil change & to only use it once per oil change. Read the label and see if it says something similar to this on the back of your STP bottle. If it does, I would be very careful using the additive. I went ahead and used it (not STP) every 2 or 3 tankfuls anyway because the car ran GREAT while under the influence. Needless to say I toasted the engine. Lesson learned...

My neighbour gave me a case of Lucus octane booster. I tried it a couple of time and it seemed to me that my fuel mileage dropped. As far as adding cleaner too often when I had my G/W I was adding the carb cleaner. I think eventually I washed the piston rings and groves and it started to burn oil.
kemo

Honest Abe may have some thing there about STP Injector. He said he put a whole bottle in and his bike ran a lot better. Well, I decided to put a whole bottle into my 1988 EVO and it did run some what better. Thanks Honest Abe.

I'm thinking it upped the octane rating mabe...

Well Ultrat,
I am happy to report that you hit the nail on the head.
After a couple of gas tanks of 91 Octane. ( That is what is available in most gas stations here in northern California). My bike's performance went back to the usual way it was running before. A little sluggish, Sometimes rough idle, and some vibrations (Usual Shaking of Handlebars at a stop sign).
I call it harley free upper body massage with the purchase of any harley:p

Then I set out to find a gas station around me that offers a higher octane gas than 91 octane. google (high octane gas locator)
Any way found a Union76 station about 8 Miles away that offered 100 Octane.
So I filled up 1/2 the tank with 91 and the other half with 100. Wow! Smooth acceleration, less backfire, less hesitation and overall positive performance.
My bike really likes this stuff, and it shows!:)

So as promised, I am reporting back! From what I have read, running higher octane gas than what is recomended will not hurt the motor. But running kower octane gas in a motor designed for highr will cause it to run hotter. ( which is not the case here. So hope that is true, cos my bike seems to like the higher octane mix much better.

Any way found a Union76 station about 8 Miles away that offered 100 Octane.

You found an ordinary consumer gas station that sold and pumped 100 Octane fuel out of underground tanks? What color was the fuel as you pumped it. You have to tell me what state this was in.

Honest Abe, You diluted the % of ethanol when using STP Gas Treatment which will make anything run better. STP has petrolium by-products which clean and reduce % of ethanol. Try some 100% pure un-leaded race gasoline of about 93 to 95 octane. This fuel has NO ethanol! Pure gasoline runs better, period.
wilks3

You found an ordinary consumer gas station that sold and pumped 100 Octane fuel out of underground tanks? What color was the fuel as you pumped it. You have to tell me what state this was in.

Well it took me a while to google it. But they actually turned out that they have a website! A gas station with a website! Don't see to many of these...

any way here it is:
King's Union 76

Turns out that they have 100 and 112 even.!

I can't tell you the color, as I just put the Nozzle right in the tank and pumped the gas in.

Turns out that they have 100 and 112 even.!

Absolutely unbelievable. Wow. I NEVER thought I would see that anywhere. And of all the places to sell Rocket fuel,,,California, the test grounds for the EPA. I would give anything to have that station close to where I lived. The best I can find around here is 87 non-ethanol which is not good enough. Believe it or not there are several race tracks around here but they only will sell the fuel to the race car guys.

Thanks for the link. I am truly amazed by it.

Sounds like the theme of this thread/post is that the higher the Octane the better, which I tend to agree with. However, why use injector cleaner instead of Octane Booster? Or, was the boost in Octane from the injector cleaner what led to the higher Octane revelation?

The 100 octane is un-leaded, ok for O2 sensors.
The 110 & 112 octane is LEADED, (i.e. racing,off road only), BAD for O2 sensors.
Just be careful which you pump in there!
wilks3

Back