free website stats program Sticky Throttle | Harley Davidson Forums

Sticky Throttle

After having the handlebars replaced on my 09 Ultra the throttle seems to stick slightly in certain positions. I took it back to the shop and they have sprayed and lubed everything that can be lubed but the throttle still sticks enough to be annoying. Has anybody experienced this with the throttle by wire grip?

After having the handlebars replaced on my 09 Ultra the throttle seems to stick slightly in certain positions. I took it back to the shop and they have sprayed and lubed everything that can be lubed but the throttle still sticks enough to be annoying. Has anybody experienced this with the throttle by wire grip?

When I changed my grips I did not leave enough play. About a week later the throttle stuck on me several times. I had to loosen the throttle switch housing and move it out towards the end of the handle bar to give the grip the required play. (approx 1/16 inch) No problems since then. But I still wonder why it took a week for it to start sticking. It will darn sure get your attention though.

I replaced my stock bars with Klockwerks Ergo Back Black bars and utilized the stock grips. The throttle wasn't sticking although it wasn't springing back as fast as it had so I removed the grip and greased the bar and inside of the grip. This improved it slightly, however it still wasn't as smooth as stock. I had planned to remove the grip again and sand off the black powder coat where the grip goes to allow more wiggle room. However, I just decided to replace the grips with Avons and that fixed everything.

I am wondering if it is somehow the throttle unit rather than the grips. No problem until the chubbys were installed and I noticed it right away. The throttle doesn't really stick but rather binds a little when trying to accelerate slightly. It will still close just fine. I can live with it but it was so expensive to change the bars and cables that I hate not to have it right.

Sometimes there will be a burr on the end of the bar where the notches are cut out to hold the throttle mechanism. I had to dremel a couple of spots on mine. I'd pull the grip off and check for this.

Back