free website stats program Stereo upgrade | Harley Davidson Forums

Stereo upgrade

Turk55

Thinking about upgrading my SG factory stereo with an amp and speakers, I know theirs a lot of aftermarket equipment out their but which system do you all think is best value for the $$$, I like my tones kicking with BIG bass and the stock just does not cut it.

I have the Hog Tunes amp, speakers, and tweeter pod. Huge improvement over stock. However, I think you're chasing a ghost if you're trying to duplicate the high fidelity, booming bass type of music you can get on a home or car system. The riding environment just doesn't lend itself to that with engine and wind noise and then the acoustic killing helmet if you wear one.

Glad I made the upgrade but I still don't feel like I get clear, undistorted, "booming" audio at highway speeds.

There's about as many opinions on this subject as oil. Several factors that don't get reported on these threads are; Height of windshield, type of exhaust
and others. There are lots of ways to claim power in a system, and many are not at all accurate. I'm not an audiophile but I like clear sound at highway speed. I have heard bikes with badly distorted sound, but the owners think id good because it's loud. Hog Tunes are a quality product, with good reports on customer support. Their website, has good information. Hog Wired is another popular mcy. brand, with good support. J&M is a big player in the mcy. field, but I've read that customer support is not too good.
ADD: I have valued Dr. Doolittles posts on sound as said in his above post. He doesn't try to compare mcy. sound with home sound or cage quality.

Last edited:
Thinking about upgrading my SG factory stereo with an amp and speakers, I know theirs a lot of aftermarket equipment out their but which system do you all think is best value for the $$$, I like my tones kicking with BIG bass and the stock just does not cut it.

+1 on Hogtunes. DO NOT buy them on EBay!

I also have the HogTunes amp and speakers. I agree with Doc if your looking for big bass and booming sound best stick with your home system or get one of the $$$ car systems.

I run Hogtunes for 3 years and I just switched to J&M and I like the J&M system better then Hogtunes. Hogtunes is a good product and the customer support is great and the cost is lower then other manufactures so if you go that way you should be happy. I switched to J&M because they offer the 7 1/4 speakers with built in mid-range and tweeters in the speaker grills J&M calls this speaker system the Rokker series. J&M also have bigger amps then Hogtunes, J&M has 250 watt 2 channel amp and 500 watt 4 channel amp while Hogtunes only have the 140 watt 2 channel amp and 160 watt 4 channel amp. If you want clearer audio at higher volume levels you may want to sway towards J&M but you will have to put out more cash. You may find some deals on e-bay if you look.

not to hijack post but What's the difference with the ones sold on ebay?? I was fixing to order this setup...

Hog Tunes has a disclaimer on website about buying discounted products of theirs on auction sites. I think (therefore quite likely wrong) some products that they warrantied got bought and put on ebay. Just last week a friend of mine bought H.T. amp and speakers from Eastern Performance on Ebay. They are a reputable vendor and assured him the speakers were covered on the 20 yr. warranty.

A lot of times you can save some big $$ just because it does not have "Harley" anywhere in the description so I would check into some of the Marine stereo equipment. If it can withstand harsh saltwater marine conditions it will certainly handle road weather conditions. Just a thought

Back