free website stats program steering lock on RKC | Harley Davidson Forums

steering lock on RKC

billyd1

Hi all! I couldn't get my steering lock to engage.:34: I tried everything with the key and steering repositioning to no avail. The key would turn about halfway and bind. Anybody have this happen to their touring model and or know the solution?

I have had no trouble with mine. a 09 FLHR... You say you are going all the way to the left and wiggle move back n forth while applying pressure to the key .....

Are you sure it is the right key???

I have 2 bikes left now, but lucky my 06 sport R. has normal flat key...
when I still had a dyna(barrel key) it could get me into trouble. taking the wrong key out to get it going.. then I color coded the keys with a soft from on the key ring..

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for responding Bubbie. I only have one bike that uses the barrel type key and I tried both keys with all the jiggle wiggles both gentle and more deliberate, turning the handlebars back and forth with and without holding release pressure on the bars and keys. I've owned motorcycles since the '70's and was a turnkey for 25+ years thats why it stumped me! It works now for some reason but when it's needed it's needed and it would not lock that night.

I just went through the same with my 04 road king. Never figured out what was making it bind up. It works now???

Sometimes the clutch cable will keep the forks from turning far enough for them to lock, but that shouldn't keep the key from working.

Back