free website stats program Starting problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting problem

I have a 1981 shovel head. The starter won't turn motor over just makes a clunking sound when I hit the start button after hitting button 2 or 3 times then nothing. I replaced starter and solenoid and still same problem. However I can kick start bike and it will start. Please help thank you

Yes it's a clunking sound not a clicking sound I will check out all the starter components and get back with you guys. And thanks for the diagrams they will be very helpful.I am glad I found this site thanks again

Well glad you are headed in the right direction. I should have honed in on that "clunking" word from the start, but the fact that you had just replaced the starter and solenoid threw me off.

Will be interesting to hear what you find.

You may want to try measuring the voltage on the large stud (directly on the starter) when you try and start it. If you measure a severe voltage drop in battery voltage (say to 9.0 volts) when you hear the "clunk" it means you have a terrible mechanical bind that is holding back the starter. But if you see no voltage drop at all (voltage remains near 12), it is telling you the solenoid contacts are not making contact and the starter motor is not being told to spin.

As Jack said in entry point 7, a mechanical bind will do damage. Indirectly use your voltmeter to determine if you have a bind.

I have the same clunking noise 'intermediate' after 7 or 8 hits on the switch it will turn over. I have been a auto parts re-placer for a few years and am new to two wheel repair...it seems parts are hard to find for the older bikes, I don't want to get into something i will screw up worse. Anyway wish we heard back as the fix for this problem. :eam

One of the problems I use to have with old Shovels was the starter relay wiring. I would replace the input 12v and output to solenoid with new 14ga.,sometimes 12ga., on the starter relay. It was normally under the battery tray. If it were bad I would upgrade it to the new 5 prong relay. This would normally cure my problem, but not always.
tourbox

Turns out that the solenoid was bad. I took it apart and the contact on one of the large bolts was worn down, I rotated the bolt to make a good contact and now she starts every time.

Back