free website stats program starter wont turn | Harley Davidson Forums

starter wont turn

John Schossow

I got on forgot to put it in neutral hit start button bike jumped a bit as as they do. Put it in neutral tried again and I got nothing battery is new and full charged, all fuses are good. dash lights do come on but seem slow and dim, lights do come on but all lights seem dim. What did I do? I'm thinking I fried something in the starter but just want to ask before taring into it .

I think we all have done that at least once, that should not have fried anything other than your pride.
Check all your cable connections at the starter too, make sure they are all clean and tight.

With a fully charged battery and your getting dim lights tells me it may be a ground issue.

On a fully charged battery (like over night) do a load test, new does not mean it's good.

Put the bike in 3rd or 4th gear and try real hard to rock it enough to get the engine to turn a little. The starter gear could just be hung in the clutch sprocket from the lurch.

SOP here. Make sure battery has enough juice first. If it still won't spin with 12.5 volts or better test the battery "drop" when you hit the starter. If it drops to 7 volts or below it's got a short in it. If it stays high on the voltage stay off the starter switch or you'll fry the starter, it may be hung. Don't try to jump the battery with another vehicle that's running!

as a general rule, if the horn honks loud and strong then the battery is good. you only need to clean the battery connections with sand paper, wire brush, or steel wool. However... If the lights are good but the horn is dull, then charge your battery at 2 amps for 24 hours. It might not hurt to tap on the starter motor with a small hammer and/or put the bike in gear and rock it back and forth. Here is the trick..... "the kill switch button is on the right, put the bike in neutral, turn "on" the key switch, hold the starter button down with your left thumb while rocking the kill switch button on/off, on/off, on/off, on" works every time.

I got on forgot to put it in neutral hit start button bike jumped a bit as as they do. Put it in neutral tried again and I got nothing battery is new and full charged, all fuses are good. dash lights do come on but seem slow and dim, lights do come on but all lights seem dim. What did I do? I'm thinking I fried something in the starter but just want to ask before taring into it .

Does the motor turn over at all? Can you roll the bike in neutral? If not, follow the suggestion Breeze has posted; could very will be the starter pinion is just hung up in the ring gear. If the starter is not hung, then make all the other checks the guys have posted. Your flub has been done by thousands without damage.;)

Back