free website stats program Starter won't spin | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter won't spin

Blue Wide Glide

I have a 2005 Dyna Wide Glide with 47,000 miles on it. It was last started about three weeks ago, but when I tried to start it today, all I get is a repeated "banging or clanging" noise like a jack-hammer when I hit the starter button. I do not hear the starter trying to spin. It has been on the battery tender, and seems to have plenty of power in the two year old battery. I am going to check the wiring connections first, but I am looking for some "experienced opinions" from some of our esteemed members. I hope this is not retaliation for me buying a new bike:(

First I would check battery voltage.
While in the bike, place a volt meter on the battery terminals, a good battery will measure around 12.6 V for a fully charged battery.

While the volt meter is still hooked up turn on your ignition and hit your starter button and note what the voltage is while hitting the button.

If the voltage is falling to 10 volts or less your battery may be on its way out.

If your voltage while hitting your starter button is above 11 volts and your starter is not spinning, it may be the starter relay.

To test this, make sure bike is in neutral. Get a jumper lead and connect one end to your battery plus (+) then remove the green wire on your starter solenoid and touch the jumper free end to the terminal on the solenoid. It should cause your starter to spin. This jumper allows you to by-pass your starter button and starter relay.

If your starter spins then I would next look at your starter relay.

Hope this helps.
please post your results

Regards

Chuck

If you test it with the jumper wire as 76 shovel and still hear the "banging or clanging" noise like a jack-hammer, then it may be your starter clutch going out. It could also be worn out solenoid. 76 shovel has you pretty well covered.
tourbox

To test this, make sure bike is in neutral. Get a jumper lead and connect one end to your battery plus (+) then remove the green wire on your starter solenoid and touch the jumper free end to the terminal on the solenoid. It should cause your starter to spin. This jumper allows you to by-pass your starter button and starter relay.
No need to run a jumper from the battery, the main lug on the starter solenoid is direct voltage from the battery, jump from main lug to green terminal with bike in neutral, this will turn the starter over if it is working properly and you have a good battery

If I got that sort of noise I would put bike in gear and rock it back and forward a wee bit just in case the starter is not able to mesh with the ring gear on the clutch basket and that would give the transmission parts a wee nudge to a different place

Brian

I did a voltage test on the battery while trying to crank the engine over, and the voltage dropped to 6.5 volts, so it looks like the battery is the problem. I guess I should have seen this coming, but I was very busy riding the wheels off of my new Ultra.:rider Thanks for all of the good advice.

Back