free website stats program Starter woes | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter woes

doc2nd2

OK, I just buttoned up my 90 flhtcu after replacing the final drive tranny pulley and I go to start her up and, SUPRISE!!! "CLAK" is all I get (not click).
The connections are good, the battery is charged, so I am wanting to pull my hair out, but cant... Im bald!!!
Im sure with the collective genus out there we can get this solved soon, Thanks folks!

I've got a '94FLSTC, and after installing the final drive pulley many years ago heard the same "clack" sound. Turns out the jackshaft assy. 1.Had not been tightened down 2.I had not bent the tab up on the washer to hold the jackshaft bolt in place. After I opened it up and followed the jackshaft install instructions, it started right up. My problem was I was in a hurry to ride the next day.

Don, apparently I did the same thing!!!!! Fixed!!!!!and a big thankyou!..... BTW got any idea why I am blowing old oil out of the breather?

Never mind, it was just the usual seep after sitting, she's all better now!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a '94FLSTC, and after installing the final drive pulley many years ago heard the same "clack" sound. Turns out the jackshaft assy. 1.Had not been tightened down 2.I had not bent the tab up on the washer to hold the jackshaft bolt in place. After I opened it up and followed the jackshaft install instructions, it started right up. My problem was I was in a hurry to ride the next day.

Good call Don! :worthy

Brian wont admit that he did the same one time

Brian

doc2nd2, This is why this is such a great site. If you have a problem or just a question someone on this site has probably already been there done that. Glad I got the call right this time. Ride safe, ride far.

Don, apparently I did the same thing!!!!! Fixed!!!!!and a big thankyou!..... BTW got any idea why I am blowing old oil out of the breather?

Never mind, it was just the usual seep after sitting, she's all better now!

I'm not sure but I would be willing to take odds that the oil/breather problem is caused by the umbrella valves (little rubber valves) in the valve covers have hardened over time. Not a real big deal to change, but if it's not blowing oil down the right side of the bike you may want to wait untill you do a top end service.

after starting it 3 or 4 times it stopped. I had her down for about 4 weeks while working on the final drive. I had hit a deer and the only real damage was started when the shifter was knocked down a gear and then into a false neutral at 70 mph, it started the stripping out of the splines on the final drive tranny pulley. It gave out about 500 miles later.
I had let her sit for about a month or so this winter when we had the odd snow period and she did the same. Marie is a '90 flhtcu that I bought a year ago with only 4728 miles on her, so she is still new. I guess those umbrella valves are a little susceptable to drying out, good reason to keep her in the wind!
Another big thanks to all. I hope someday I will have a tip to help someone else out. If any "emergency detailing" questions pop up Im the guy!!

Hey Doc; Your 90 or 91 does not have umbrella valve breathers in the heads. They were first introduced in very late '92 and on all '93 models. My mid year '92 Dyna came with the breather heads, but no umbrella assemblys, it is a case breather.
The 2 easiest ways to see if you have case or head breathers is 1) Look on your engine case behind the oil pump, if a hose is coming out there to your air filter or the ground it's a case breather. 2) Remove one of the air filter mounting bolts from the head. A head breather will be 1/2" thread, hollow and have holes to vent to the carb. or air. A case breather bolts will be solid 5/16" or 3/8" inch (I forgot the size).
I think your FLH has the side mount oil tank, and that is suceptable to oil seeping past the check valve when sitting, just like softails do. There's a tip in self help on reseating the check valve.

Back