free website stats program starter switch dead. | Harley Davidson Forums

starter switch dead.

Awhile back, while riding to work on my 2014 Street Glide, my radio didn't work and had a strange display. When I got to work and turned the master switch off, the radio display remained on. After work, bike wouldn't start and couldn't catch in gear. Fuel system pressurizes with switch to run. Tried to jump from non-running auto and inadvertently switched polarity on jumpers.. While connected, horn sounded like it was dying. Immediately disconnected. Charged battery, had load tested at Harley shop - good. Found 20a fuse blown. Replaced. Now, start switch dead, everything else works. Please help!

Have you washed it lately and got moister in the switch? Check all power and ground connection to include at the starter.

Remove starter switch housing and check wires with a test light for power, could be the switch went south on you.

Re-checked all fuses-good. When I apply 12v to the starter solenoid terminal, starter turns. Is there an ice cube relay upstream of the solenoid? Opened up the switch housing, looks good in there-dry. Haven't checked with meter. The onboard diagnostics BCM, RAD,SPDO all followed by letter Y, ECM is not followed by letter Y. Don't know what that means.

Not up on the new bikes electrical but there almost has to be a slave relay for the start switch to make the solenoid on the starter. Should be some relays in the fuse panel. The older bikes have two and you could interchange them temporarily for testing purposes. In any event you should be able to hear the relay make and break once you find it.

There are 2 relays in the fuse panel box IIRC. 1 starter, 1 system relay. They should have the same P/N on them. Just reverse them to see if starter works. There may be a 3rd. but I think it has a different P/N.
tourbox

Found an ice cube relay in the fuse box that picks up with the master switch on. I think I read somewhere that the BCM handles the solenoid energizing in the newer bikes. Thanks for all the input.

Back