free website stats program starter relay location | Harley Davidson Forums

starter relay location

bassman61

Hello, all!

Can someone please tell me where my bike's starter relay is located? Some have said it's back by the battery compartment, others have said it's between the fuel tanks the only stuff I saw between the fuel tanks were mainly a bunch of wires.....my bike is a 1986 Heritage Softail (1340cc Evo).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

ED

It is with the fuses on the back fender pull your seat off

On my 92 softail it is on the rear fender extension which is a wee bit of a pest to get to as it is between the gearbox and the rear wheel if I remember it is held in place by 4 screws some of which are a pest to get to
Removing the rear fender may give good access but I don't remember

Brian

HD99FXST065.gif
#15 is the relay

I'll give it another look....I have to get this taken care of........thanks for your help.....stay tuned.....

Jack, is this assembly on the FRONT on the rear fender? I haven't checked yet......you had mentioned it's under the seat, correct? Bear with me on this stuff, just wanna get this right.....btw, what are part(s) #24? Thanks for the info, man!

Last edited by a moderator:
On my 92 softail the relay is definitely on the rear fender extension if I use a flashlight from the left side of the bike and look in the area below and to the rear of the oil tank I can see the relay mounted on the rear fender extension
I think the easiest way to get hands on it would be to remove seat and rear fender then it may be possible if not you may have to remove the rear wheel to et full access to the fender extension mount bolts

Brian

The relay along with all the breakers are tucked away in the same area I had to get in there when changing my regulator I did manage to get the rear fender extension off without removing too much of the bike by raising the bike on a jack and dropping it again to get access to each of the mounts for it with a wee bit of contortion I was able to get to each of the fasteners in turn but I do have a lot of tools a fair bit of experience and a stubborn nature so I did manage

Brian

Back