Starter Problems

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by RRNOTT, Dec 30, 2008.

1. RRNOTT

RRNOTT New Member

I have a 03 super glide, when you start it the starter sound like it is spining but is not turning over the motor, after taking off the primary cover i can see that the jackshaft is engaging into the starter ring but the jackshaft is not turning, starter clutch ? or replace the whole starter

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Starter clutch. pull the starter and replace the clutch.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  3. DadzLowrider

DadzLowrider Active Member

I just went through this on my old lowrider. I replaced the clutch which fixed it but only lasted a month or so after, ended up replacing the entire started after.

4. lzmj3s

lzmj3s Member

Had same problem with my custom. Sometimes Higher compression motors can fry your clutch. Replaced mine with Drag Speciaties clutch and installed compression releases for "Hot" starts. Seems to be doing OK. Cost for clutch about $70.00.

5. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Do you have any details on the installation and use of compression releases for our performance minded enthusiasts? :reyes

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

7. RRNOTT

RRNOTT New Member

Next question, HD wants $118.00 for a oem clutch, that comes with the output shaft,but a after market clutch with out the output shaft is $54.00, any suggestions?

8. glider

glider Veteran Member

Don't tell Gary I told you this but here it goes.:s Take your old part to match it up, there's a few that fit.

WAI PART DESCRIPTION

Gotta use a little imagination Gary. How long do you think the video would be if they showed him removing the heads and drilling them?

There's also kits available to do it on the bike as well without removing the heads.

Hope you're writing all this down so when I call you and question you, you have the right answers.:D

There's always this option too...

[​IMG]

Spyke Firststryke Compression Release Spark Plugs from Chopper Surplus

Or for the gear heads in the crowd...

Installation Instructions for S&S 90-4925 Mechanical Compression Release - HDTalking Downloads Page - Harley Davidson Community

Or for the lazy gear heads, there's electric ones too.

Installation Instructions:S&S 90-4915 Electric Compression Release - HDTalking Downloads Page - Harley Davidson Community

How to do it on the bike if you're daring enough to try...

Compression Releases Tech JIMS - HDTalking Downloads Page - Harley Davidson Community

9. wildspirit97

wildspirit97 Senior Member

HEY!! the video worked with Mozilla :D:small3d028:

10. glider

glider Veteran Member

One never knows does one!

Wonders never cease.:s

Worked here too with Mozilla!